Starter wiring for 87 k5 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quade

Reaction score
First Name
Quade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
I bought my truck and it was someone elses project and the old motor was about 80% ready to be pulled. Iv never really worked on a older 350 or really any older vehicle. I know most of the wiring goes to its memory but im not sure where the wiring for the starter is. Does anyone know what I should be looking for and where they go on the starter. I think i have the one that goes straight to the battery in the correct place already.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
big wire will be going straight to the battery, while the 12V crank signal should be a purple wire from the ignition switch

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
My ignition switch wire comes from the big wire harness that runs across the firewall , opens up right by the valve cover and runs all the way down... On mine at least oh and it's red, but someone messed with it...
I should actually rewire it because sometimes I just get a click and have to switch the key off and try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Back in 1973 these trucks - the ones with automatic transmissions - were using a combination Neutral Safety Switch/Reversing Light Switch. It was/is mounted on the steering column - right smack up against the firewall and contained two sets of contacts. One activated the back-up lights (when the shifter was in R) and another to prevent the engine from being cranked (unless the gearshift was in P or N).

About 1980 I think, the idea of the electrical interlock - the NSS - was abandoned. It was replaced by a mechanical interlock inside the column. The mechanism is up high near the ignition switch and - unless the shifter is in P or N - it will not allow the driver to turn the key to the START position.

I believe it had something to do with the fact that the "new" locking type steering columns were becoming popular (probably with insurance companies). In addition to keeping the steering wheel from being turned, they also locked the gear shift in the P position. Car theft was fairly common back then and this feature put a big dent in the number of cars that were stolen. Really, when was the last time you heard of someone getting their car stolen? I guess it made good business sense to also incorporate the starter motor lock-out device in the column - probably to save some money on wire and cost of the dual contact switch.

Despite the fact that there has been no such thing as an NSS (for like 35 years), old habits die hard. People still refer to that white switch on the outside of the column down at the fire wall as the neutral safety switch.

Sorry, I got a little off the subject. But I am getting to the point now:

I should actually rewire it because sometimes I just get a click and have to switch the key off and try again

Your truck - if still wired as factory - has an NSS (and the power from the ignition switch to the solenoid must pass through it).

There is a good chance that what you describe above is simply due to the NSS being out of adjustment. You see it all the time with the back-up light switch.

If you investigate and find that the intermittent no-crank condition appears to be because of this issue - come back and I will explain the adjustment procedure.

I am sick of typing now.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Reverse lights just stay on all the time. How to fix?

People have said the check out the Neutral Safety Switch but I don't know.

I don't have ANY reverse lights...Been trying to get them to work since I purchased the truck last December.

Read this first:

I am guessing that since you can get the lights to come on, by lifting up on the gear shift lever, that you have a neutral safety/back-up light switch. It should be column mounted and right up against the firewall. Correct?

At one point a few years ago I was having the same trouble as you. It was not really an issue - until you have to keep upward pressure on the shift lever while trying to back down a steep dark driveway in the middle of the woods.

So I decided to at least look at the switch. I'm pretty lazy, so often that's as far as I get.

This time however, I fixed it. Took about 2 minutes and zero dollars.

While I was poking at one side with my finger, the whole switch made a ratcheting sound and rotated around the steering column. Seems that the plastic housing (and consequently the switch open/close point) is infinitely adjustable.

It might take awhile to figure out but basically put your gear shift in R and then (with the key on) have someone watch the back-up lights. Push the switch one way or the other - I forget - until the back-ups come on.

Here are a couple of real bad images I just took - I am reassembling my steering wheel/horn button so I was in the area. My finger tip is pushing on the RH (passenger) side in one of the photos:

You must be registered for see images attach

It must have worked - a sample of the responses to the post:

1. man this should be a sticky , I am glad you posted this ??? and I am extremely grateful for the pictures and the solution. I have had this same problem for the last 6 months since I bought my square , after this I just now went outside in the dark and fixed it in exactly 2 minutes and it starts to . thanks .

2. Damn C*****y! There you go again making my day! I have been fighting that thing all weekend and ordered a new neutral safety switch. Now I don't need it but it was only ten bucks. Thanks again! Love this site. I second the sticky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64