Starter gear sliding forward and hitting flexplate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All,

I found the source of the awful clattering under my engine.

After throwing forward and starting the truck, then springing back, the starter gear starts to creep forward (actually back towards rear of truck) and slides up against the spinning flywheel, making a godawful clacking.

Is this something I can fix/adjust? Is this a spring that is worn? Did I kick the solenoid at some point and I need to re-adjust it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BRetty

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
All,

I found the source of the awful clattering under my engine.

After throwing forward and starting the truck, then springing back, the starter gear starts to creep forward (actually back towards rear of truck) and slides up against the spinning flywheel, making a godawful clacking.

Is this something I can fix/adjust? Is this a spring that is worn? Did I kick the solenoid at some point and I need to re-adjust it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

BRetty
Sounds like a bad return spring in Your starter, But I have never seen one go bad. Easy fix is just to replace starter . Make sure the Ing. switch isn't sticking in the start poss. I have seen this happen.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Update:

With better light, I see tge return spring is missing entirely! The gear just slides back and forth freely.

UPDATE @; I thought there would be a spring between the starter gear and the nose of the starter, I was mistaken. I'm trying to find out the name of the internal part. Yes, I should just buy a new starter since I have to take it out anyway....

I'm going to look for a replacement if that part is available. Is there such a part? What is the exact part name?

BR

You must be registered for see images attach

SPRING, Plunger ............................................ 2.108

Last edited:

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Update:

With better light, I see tge return spring is missing entirely! The gear just slides back and forth freely.

I'm going to look for a replacement if that part is available.

Is there such a part? What is the exact part name?

BR

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
No idea if You can buy it or not,,,BUT You can't see this spring till You have starter tore in half. But must be gone if You can slide gear back n forth.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I am guessing I need to replace part #8 in that diagram, which is the Drive Assembly

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I am guessing I need to replace part #8 in that diagram, which is the Drive Assembly
No. 12 is the spring I'm talking about It will push No. 8 the drive ass. back and should hold it back. But put both in as part 8 could by wore out. Most people replace the whole starter

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Update:

I thought it might be the solenoid return spring, but it seems to be the "drive assembly" itself.

The starter gear will slide on the shaft an inch each way. There is a broken snap ring and a loose washer. I'll post a pic of them.

Yes, I need a new starter.

Here's a picture of the starter nose. The split ring and washer/collar are loose. I'm not understanding how the pinion gear is supposed to be retained....when it's not broken....

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
An update to close this out....

Finding the magic words to ID the failed part for this starter was very annoying. The Internet is a dumpster fire of mis-aligned SEO (*) and YouTube shaky clickbait videos with 12 mintes of "Blair Witch Garage" nausea-inducing video with maybe a 3-second mention of what is the actual information. I finally found my specific problem, but all the guy did was replace the starter (followed by 30 seconds of him driving to prove the noise was gone, thanks Ford guy!)

Now, I could buy just a new starter solenoid. O'R____y's has one. But whether it includes the plunger return spring is like: MYSTERIOUS

Also, since I have needed to drive my truck to work, and don't have a wife/manservant/chauffer, I have been unable to leave the truck (or just the starter, it comes off and on in 2 minutes) at any of the several starter rebuild places near work. I don't speak enough Spanish to find out how long the surly, very busy, and maybe suspicious guy at the starter place(s) will need to keep it. And of course explaining exactly what is the problem and does he have like 100 of these springs lying around and could maybe he replace it in 15 minutes, while I throw a few 20's at him, is impossible. Nooo... you got to bring it in, the starter, I bench test it, I dunno.""

So what this means is, I am buying a new starter for $150 from P___'s Starter & Alternator.

Then I can take mine apart and confirm that it is the:

Part No. 1940974 — Part SPRING - RETURN​

_OR_

Part No. 1958679 — Part PLUNGER RETURN - 40 NEWTONS (8.99 LB.)​

I seem to also need a bushing or bearing and a retaining ring for the starter shaft at the nose cone. I expect the pinion gear (or RING gear, or maybe BENDIX gear) is ground down like my patience and faith in humanity and hope that we won't forget EVERYTHING we have ever invented as a species.

Now P____ was pretty surly, and also suspicious. So I think I will be buying a mini-style starter. I THINK. All I know is it is in stock, and I will ask for staggered bolt pattern. Hopefully this will not have some metric/SAE bolt mismatch, considering I am asking for a direct replacement it had jolly well better be.

At least getting a mini-starter will be good because I need to install my BITCHIN' HEADERS as soon as possible.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll report back maybe.

BRetty

PS -- Search tags so people can find this post if they have this problem:

starter solenoid plunger return spring pinion gear loose

* -- Searching for "delco remy starter solenoid plunger return spring", the 12th hit was the California Secretary of State's office at 300 Spring St. I could have watched hours of video about lawnmowers and snowmobiles and boats. Aaaaarrrggghhhh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88