Squeaky and leaky brakes/pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
On my 77 previous owner sent 2 wheel cylinders with the truck. I have looked at the rear right so far and i noticed behind the rubber sleeve it looks just a tad bit wet there. And according to what ive been told in the back if a wheel cylinder is bad it'll show signs like squealing brakes(pads are new). And itll leak fluid under the end sleeve.

Thats my major issue because its obnoxiousoy loud.
However if im sitting on a incline my brake pedal will leak down. After i depress it further after the 2-3 time it leaks down truck rolls forward and you CAN NOT stop it with the brake pedal.

It leaves me with two options slam it in park or use the emergency brake.

I checked the connection on the brake booster vacuum line. Its a new piece. So im thinking its a internal seal in the master cylinder. Which woupd be easier and cheaper to replace rather than rebuild.

Ive also. Checked the brake lines..no leaks. Resevior stays full so it mist be a air leak.

Any insight.

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would start with a master cylinder.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
drum brakes don't squeal, they might grind or get the harmonic vibration noise like semi's do. if you have fluid behind the dust boot that cylinder is getting ready to go bad. however from the sound of it you have a bad master too. highdesertranger

77chevy400

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
6.6l (400)
drum brakes don't squeal, they might grind or get the harmonic vibration noise like semi's do. if you have fluid behind the dust boot that cylinder is getting ready to go bad. however from the sound of it you have a bad master too. highdesertranger
What happens if the cylinder goes bad. Im getting sure the squealing up front occasionally is brake pads because if it squeals and i push it harder itll stop.

Sent from my Reddot R50 using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What happens if the cylinder goes bad. Im getting sure the squealing up front occasionally is brake pads because if it squeals and i push it harder itll stop.

if the wheel cylinder goes bad it will puke out the brake fluid and you will lose your brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85