Springs vs Blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hell yeah NRV, Muddy it up and confuse us all. I am starting to figure out, there is no Rhyme or Reason, just simply better take a tape measure with you if going to look at a used one out of the vehicle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First, let me say I didn't read this whole thread but I did see something I wanted to clear up - the pumpkin ribbing.

The difference in ribbing between the housings in post #55 & 58 is a year model difference, not a K20 vs K30 thing. The housing with the extra ribbing (see post #58) is the updated housing GM started using in '88. Any 14 bolt FF from '87 or earlier is the smoother version (see post #55).

Just to muddy up the waters a little more, some folks think all '88+ 14 bolts with extra ribbing have slip off drums but that's not true - my original 91 V3500 had a ribbed housing but pinned drums. As best I can tell it depends on the original body style; square bodies get pinned drums and NBS trucks have slip ons.

Hope I was able to further confuse the subject. :crazy:

Thank you! You went much further into detail than I even thought about doing. So to recap, square bodies with full floaters got pinned drums.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank you! You went much further into detail than I even thought about doing. So to recap, square bodies with full floaters got pinned drums.
And only 4 ribs regardless of 1 ton, 3/4 ton or CUCV.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Just goes to show no matter how old you get you're never too old to learn. Sorry for the misinformation.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And only 4 ribs regardless of 1 ton, 3/4 ton or CUCV.

Not quite. The '88-'91 Burbs and crew cabs got the extra ribs in the housing, but it was just a year thing, not a 1ton-3/4 ton thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just goes to show no matter how old you get you're never too old to learn. Sorry for the misinformation.

That's the beauty of a good forum. And when I say GOOD forum, I refer to the members, since the members are the providers of the info. Over the years and years of parts and models, its tough for 1 person to know it all down to the fine details, and they could also be spreding misinformation they received too, but when you have level headed mature members, all of them can share what they think, or know, or was told, they have seen or have, and eventually between all of them, they'll get it ironed out one way or another. I have seen other forums, in this exact same situation, just a differant topic, and everyone is calling everyone stupid, you don't know ****, so shut the F up etc etc. You'll never get to the bottom of anything that way. :baby: So misinformation does happen at times, but so long as someone else can make the correction in a mature manner, then its all good. :headbang:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not quite. The '88-'91 Burbs and crew cabs got the extra ribs in the housing, but it was just a year thing, not a 1ton-3/4 ton thing.
Yep true, forgot about the 88-91 SB Burbs. So the SB pick ups anyway. Well hell, Crew Cabs Pickups to 91 also. Although, ribs I am not so worried about, but its great to know for ID purposes though. I have faith in 14b FF out of a 73 3/4 ton pick up just like I would a 91 Crew Cab full floater. I'm not willing to go seek out a FF with more ribs because its stronger when the 4 rib unit is plenty strong enough for anything I'd be doing, even if a rock crawler buggy. I just wish GM woud have or could have considered making 14b FF for front axles too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There doesn't seem to be a clear answer on exactly why those extra ribs are there. Some say it was to make the housing stronger, while some say GM switched to a cheaper material for the casting, making the extra ribs necessary to regain the lost strength.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There doesn't seem to be a clear answer on exactly why those extra ribs are there. Some say it was to make the housing stronger, while some say GM switched to a cheaper material for the casting, making the extra ribs necessary to regain the lost strength.
Great thoughts. Wonder if maybe they did change the material to lighten it a bit, then beefed it up. Someone could alwasy weigh the 2. Nevertheless, is there such a thing as a weak 14b FF? I am thinking not.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Just to muddy up the waters a little more, some folks think all '88+ 14 bolts with extra ribbing have slip off drums but that's not true - my original 91 V3500 had a ribbed housing but pinned drums. As best I can tell it depends on the original body style; square bodies get pinned drums and NBS trucks have slip ons.

Hope I was able to further confuse the subject. :crazy:

my 94 K3500 had the ribs... and pinned drums.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
my 94 K3500 had the ribs... and pinned drums.

Just when we thought we had it all figured out, you go and do that :Get him!:

Maybe in the newer trucks it made a difference if it was 3/4 or 1ton, or maybe drw or srw. Are we even supposed to care about those trucks here? We like the older stuff here, lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just when we thought we had it all figured out, you go and do that :Get him!:

Maybe in the newer trucks it made a difference if it was 3/4 or 1ton, or maybe drw or srw. Are we even supposed to care about those trucks here? We like the older stuff here, lol.
We only care if by chance those newer parts will fit our SB's. Then of course, they can be made to fit too. We'll let him slide this time, and be thankful for the input.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Lets also not forget that sometimes what happens on the assembly line defies all logic and common sense. If Norm at assembly station B got the wrong pallet of rear axles on Friday at 4:30 there may be seventy trucks out there with totally off the wall specs LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue