Speedometer Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ksimstx

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
New to this site, but have a question and hoping someone can help me without throwing parts at it.... 87 R10, 2 WD. 700r4 trans. I replaced the driven gear and seals at trans due to it leaking, and that problem is solved, no leak and worn driven gear replaced. Fast forward to now, and the Speedometer is still bouncing at low speeds. I pulled the original cable, cleaned it and greased it and the speedometer still bounced, but made no noise (inside the cab). So, I bought a new speedometer cable, and it now makes noise as the speedometer cable rotates, bouncing is gone... Do I potentially have a bad new cable, or a bad speedometer? I'm a bit perplexed on this one. Thanks in advance for any help.

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
hmm i would check that the new cable is not to long,and by that i mean could the center cable be longer than the original one and pushing against the inner gearing when fully seated in? causin inner cable to bined? its the only thing i can think of that would cause a presumed good cable to make noise.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
This is a LOT of "ifs", but IF you still have the old cable and IF you can get it apart you can cut some length off of it, (Bare cable), chuck it up in a drill and stick the square drive into the speedo and pull the trigger (reverse) and see if you still have the noise???........DON"T wind up any loose wires in there...BE CAREFUL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly