spark plugs.... Over thinking!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've done well with cork gaskets also.But the last time I just decided to go for the reinforced rubber type.One side seals perfectly,other has a very small seepage.Little enough to where I am delaying redoing that side,but I know I will soon.$35 bucks for a gasket set,and has a seepage....
The reinforced rubber type is the set that leaked so badly on me. Both sides it was terrible.

@MrMarty51 & @Octane I seriously considered putting my truck on the shop schedule and having one of the guys do the work for me. The problem is the labor rate at the shop. Of course I could have discussed a discount with the owner. Keep in mind I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country. I could have afforded it, but also need to save the money as much as possible.

Ok guys now is time for my initial impression. I drove the truck to work today, but have not had time to pull the #7 plug yet. It sure ran nice on the way in. I use to describe the idle when it wasn't acting up as acceptable. This morning I would have described it as smooth. The idle speed seems a little higher too. So I'll check the #7 plug at some point today, and we'll see how it goes!

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
As for sliding around under cars, for the last 20 or so years I have used 2 pieces of shower wall.
I picked them up at the Home Depot to use as garage white boards, but soon figured out they are excellent for moving around under cars.
You must be registered for see images attach

They also work as a welding shield to keep the sparks off stuff that should stay spark free.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
All that junk on the valves fills a lot of space...

Magic creeper eh?

Dang! That looks pritty kewl!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok pulled the #7 plug. Take a look.

Just a little bit of light tan on the insulator. This plug was previously used in one of the normal cylinders for about 100 miles. I've been slowly cycling these plugs though #7, so it is a slightly used plug, but went into #7 looking about like that, and I've put about 40 miles on it. Before the intake gaskets after about 30 miles the plug would be black and visibly covered in wet oil. So that looks pretty good to me.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I hate to say I told you so......lol. It's been entertaining tho
Well it's ok to say I told you so to me, because I deserve it. But as you well know we don't always make the correct first choices when trying to fix a problem, especially if the exact cause is not known. I'm glad you did tell me so, cause if you didn't I probably would have told Rusty to go away when he brought it up and I'd be waiting on motor I didn't need. But after you both had brought it up, well I figured I had better put some serious thought into it. I should say thanks, oh and glad I could be of some entertainment!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
As for sliding around under cars, for the last 20 or so years I have used 2 pieces of shower wall.
I picked them up at the Home Depot to use as garage white boards, but soon figured out they are excellent for moving around under cars.

They also work as a welding shield to keep the sparks off stuff that should stay spark free.
Coroplast (brand name I think, kinda like kleen-x or whatever) I have some too.

Mine are festive

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok here's the last update for the day. But first I want to make a comment about this. Not only is fun to share with folks here, but also it gives me a place to go back and re-read for myself what happened when as I can never remember all the details.

So this afternoon I had to make a part run for the shop. About 30 miles to the south, so 60 round trip mostly freeway, not exactly flat but no real hill climbs either, regardless it's more mileage logged since the oil swap and tune. That went just fine and I expected that. Tonight after work. First stop car wash, this is a touchless car wash where you drive in and doors close in front and behind. I do not recall smelling the trucks exhaust during a wash in the past and I've been to this wash a few times, but on this occasion I could smell it near the end of the wash, fairly strong. Truck has a cat converter that is pretty new so it's in good health. My question on this, I'm now running slightly hotter plugs across the board, anyone think hotter plugs would effect exhaust smell? My thought is given that it effects the burn it might. Also we know I have oil control issues on #7 and I have a healthy catalytic converter, so the cat maybe cleaning it up enough to make it colorless and simply smell strong rather than oily. Also the car wash does an under carriage wash and it may have cooled the cat enough to make it not fully doing it's job, well that thought makes me feel a little better. I guess I'll just monitor that, but also I'd be interested in others opinions.

From there I got my load drove on the highway for a few miles and did that 2 mile hill. I have to admit I was intentionally hard on it. Did the entire two miles with my foot all the way to the floor. I kept it there as I crested the hill, by the time I felt I was going to fast I looked at the speedo to see the needle past 85, oops, not what I intended but definitely a good hard run up the hill. And sure enough around the corner the light is red. As I pulled up to it I was almost expecting it to run rough. Nope, pretty darn good, not perfect no, but also it's a high mileage 305, certainly a huge improvement and acceptable.

So we'll see what happens as the miles add up, I kick myself for the doing the diesel oil thing, as I feel like I brought this all on myself, but also glad that it seems I'll be able to run this engine for a while longer.
Diesel oil in a worn outb305 is not going to cause any issues that are not already there. These engines can easily run that oil no problem new let alone worn in.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Diesel oil in a worn outb305 is not going to cause any issues that are not already there. These engines can easily run that oil no problem new let alone worn in.
Yea, so I image you read some of the latter stuff. It seemed logical at the time, since it was the only change I had made. However the diesel oil was obviously not the cause of my problem. BTW I have 15W40 diesel oil back in the truck again now. Quite frankly it seemed like my "worn out 305" likes it. I like the price and I like that I can run it in a bunch of rigs and farm equipment.

Drive home was uneventful. Side note just for the heck of it when I did the water pump I left the belt off the air pump. So many people seem to like to remove the air pump and cat on these trucks. I'll be putting the belt back on the air pump shortly. The amount of exhaust smell in traffic with the window down was unpleasant. Maybe it's because of the compression / cam / valve differences in the 305 vs the 350, or the wear on my 305, or the remaining deposits burning off. Whatever the case maybe, but my 305 gets stinky without the air pump. I am pretty sensitive to exhaust smell.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can no longer tolerate the stink of lung destroying poison from my uncatted exhaust. I'm with ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84