Some of the other squarebodies sold at the Lambrecht auction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know we're all about lovin' squares here, but the whole thing kind blows my mind. Regardless of mileage, all of these are pretty much "junk" and not really any different than what's available in the used market, usually running/driving, for under 2k.....or less. Plus, there's nothing there that's "collectible" or "rare." Who in the world pays that kind of money? Whether it's got 5mi on it, or 40k, it's been sitting in the elements for 40 years. You're not going to drive away, or drive it at all, without a ground up mechanical resto......and then you still have paint, rubber, and what else to deal with.

It's kinda funny and I'm betting the auction house is laughing all the way to the bank.

You know the sellers and auction house are celebrating. Not only the elements you mention. Mice, Rats and Varmits ALONE can destroy a vehicle. Chewing up all the padding, insulation, wiring. I've even seen nesting down inside carbs where someone didn't have an air cleaner element.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
No doubt the sellers and auction company are happy. Agree with everyone, these cars may be low miles, but what is the point if you have to totally restore the whole car and then replace half to 3/4 of the parts and interiors?

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
The buyers are chasing a nickel with a dollar. These squares are all over the place down here and still rust free and in daily service. I see umpteen of them every day. Blazers are a bit scarce, but pickups and Suburbans, all day long.

When these guys are all done restoring their 4mi "all original" square, it'll be worth $2,500 and they'll have 20k in it. Smart move.

Re the mouse damage, we used to get vehicles pushing a tow truck, and when we'd open the air filter housing, it would be packed full of dog kibble and house insulation. And yes, wiring damage like crazy.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah....square restores are not for making a profit at this point. If a square is truly that low mileage and a full restore that is impeccable it may eventually be worth quite a bit but you'll drop some coin doing it

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
you guys HAVE to remember, up here, squares go for quite a bit, cause most of them are rotted away. Economy no matter what, depepends on where your located.

And the bent hoods, there were people all day long opening and shutting those hoods.
And being left to set for that long, and then opening and closing that many times, i would hate it to.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Hey, I understand the rust issue and you can't find anything older that 5yrs that's not rotted to the door handles. BUT...........if you were serious about owning a rust free square, so that it could rust out under your own care, you could get on CL all day long up and down California and then hop on a plane and drive it home. You'd be out a couple grand. Not bad vs. buying been-rotting-outside-40yrs auction junk for 10 large and then spending another 10-20k to make it right.

And for the record, I'm waaaay upside down in ours. But I love every square inch of the damn thing, so to me, it's money well spent. Plus, when I walk out into a parking lot, I can find it.......it's not one of the 600 round nose, round tail, big hips, scary headlights suppositories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising