So it was worse than anticipated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Oh lol she's a big girl!

I'm not a TBI guy either but I got one I can look at..

Would get them now, but none of my kids are tall enough, plus the hood is old chevy, requires the manly love tap.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
have the tallest kid go out there with a cell phone and video under the hood while walking around then under the dash.

I will ask the wife to do that for y'all, along with pics. Make sure we get most info we can.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Your enthusiasm for the Aviator really raised my spirits. Thanks man, more appreciated than you know.

I am familiar with the concept, when mine hit I was walking up a flight of stairs on a cat walk. Luckily I had both hands on the rails and I locked my arms to held myself up that way so I could slowly lower down to the stairs where the pain went away, until I tried to stand again. Best way I found to describe it was I told someone that to simulate it for them I would randomly walk up behind him and punch him in the kidney as hard as i could.

Looks like a red and purple melted. Ignition is my guess.

But that battery lug with those red wires I haven't a clue. They look to head toward the fuse block. Not suppose to both be hot is my guess.

Looks like he was going for a weird alternator wiring scheme?
You must be registered for see images attach

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
My wife had shopping and errands after work, thats what took so long.

About all I see he did right was the new wire from the alternator to the junction block, thats about it.

He wont answer my calls, so what you see is what I know.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
What are those red wires on that battery lug at my junction block? That aint normal I know that.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
This is worse than I imagined. :(

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
This is worse than I imagined. :(
Looks super simple to me? :shrug:

That BATTERY TERMINAL on the FIREWALL is the "cause". The fire was the "effect".

Based on those pictures alone, it appears that the OE fusible link at that location has been substituted for a ******* battery terminal thus effectively defeating the inherent safety feature of a FUSIBLE LINK that the General so wisely had installed there.

My money is in the starter solenoid but you must repair the damaged wiring, first.

When you try to start it again , if it doesn't wanna turn on just whack it with a hammer a couple of times - pretty good..the starter.. If it starts right after super easy, that's the problem. If not- we'll have to look at BATTERY CABLES.

That trouble ain't a mystery but you've got some work to do. Those melted wire looms must.be. separated and the wires repaired INDIVIDUALLY.

Pain in the ass!

Ready?
Go!
:Sumo:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

That BATTERY TERMINAL on the FIREWALL is the "cause". The fire was the "effect".

Based on those pictures alone, it appears that the OE fusible link at that location has been substituted for a ******* battery terminal thus effectively defeating the inherent safety feature of a FUSIBLE LINK that the General so wisely had installed there.

My money is in the starter solenoid but you must repair the damaged wiring, first.

When you try to start it again , if it doesn't wanna turn on just whack it with a hammer a couple of times - pretty good..the starter.. If it starts right after super easy, that's the problem. If not- we'll have to look at BATTERY CABLES.

That trouble ain't a mystery but you've got some work to do. Those melted wire looms must.be. separated and the wires repaired INDIVIDUALLY.

Pain in the ass!

Ready?
Go!

Thanks man, just what I thought.

But what do those red wires on the battery terminal go to? They go into that loom, possibly look like they go to the fuse block? I may just pull and bypass all that melted crap and go push button.

But are both those reds to the battery terminal suppose to be hot from that junction block?

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

Pain in the ass!

Ready?
Go!

Where do I get the junction block fusible link? I really dont mind doing the wiring. I plan to carb this hunk, and get rid of 90% of that wiring.

I only have the FPR, carb, HEI distributor. Need manifold, and odds and ends still. But thats gonna be a bit. Gotta fix what I got for now.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I get hurt, so now my truck has to get hurt! Lol, damn loyal jerk. Lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I dunno what they go to...the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. I think that's the purple wire from the starter safety switch? Look, i'm not sure but questions cost extra...

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I dunno what they go to...the "S" terminal of the starter solenoid. I think that's the purple wire from the starter safety switch? Look, i'm not sure but questions cost extra...

No biggie, I got atleast till the 19th of next month to search. LOL, I will get it figured out.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Oh man I've seen so much worse...
Considering all your issues you're still hitting lucky.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody