Snackwagon V2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Been searching for something for the younger boy to daily, just turned 16 and it's been a foregone conclusion that the Freedom Wagon (86 GMC) and it's 35 year old parts and 7mpg wasn't the answer.
Between school and hockey, mostly hockey, he will be commuting 3-400mi/week avg starting next week and he was getting a little too comfortable driving the brodozer everywhere!
Vehicle market is horrible if one is buying (as y'all know) and anything that is a decent deal around here is gone in 60 seconds....most of which are snatched up by the Russian "For sale by Owner" car flippers around here.
Really was looking for better mpgs, but can't stomach a compact rice burner and fwiw, apples to apples miles and age, they are fetching as much or more than gas guzzlers (FJB.....).
Found this one posted yesterday mid day and was down in Tacoma looking at it by 3:30 (guy had like 3 calls on it while we were checking it out).
120k miles, actual family wagon with a seemingly normal semi trustworthy seller AND not a "I know what I got" kinda person. Needs a couple minor things, but overall clean and everything works but the power mirrors (sometimes). Thing was so quiet, the kid grinded the starter at the gas station 5 min after we bought it because he couldn't hear it running. (The ONLY vehicle in the fleet with this "issue" lol!).
At least it's GM! Them Ford Explorers and Expeditions seem to go cheap, but I'm evicting the last Ford out of the stable next week (other son is shipping his Mustang to school this year, made enough $ this summer to afford to have his car).
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Reason it's the Snackwagon is buddy who is OCD about everything has been calling his wifes SUV the snackwagon for years because it was always full of crumbs and half eaten, dropped, smushed snacks and Mc Donalds bags when their kids were little (drove him nuts, to the point he quit cleaning his wifes rig...lol)

Few years ago we bought the original PNW Snackwagon (never owned a soccermobile SUV until then). Drove it for a winter and sold it to make room for the 86 GMC (start of Covid, wasn't being used and too many people were paying too much for "camping" rigs, so this one took a quick trip to a new owner....
This was Snackwagon V1.0

Sort of wished I didn't sell it, back then, also a better color than the "we made 1,000,000 pewter GMT 400s and 800s color of the new one...lol.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Curious observation. Both Tahoes NO rust seemingly, like most coastal PNW vehicles, both 19 years old when purchased. This one 04, old one 01. Paint is good, chassis good, original exhausts in good shape, but both of them, all 4 suspension bump stops rusted off and left the vehicles....like nothing left but a rusty flaking mess where the bumpstops used to reside...

Oh, and the new one is missing a tow hook. Got ripped clean off the frame, LOL. Someone got stuck and got the good ole boy yanker out with a chain with 10' of slack in it!
If anyone has a tow hook and a passenger side mirror in that pewter color in the Seattle area, I'm looking for one of each!

Oh, and damn those early 5.3s are so smooth and quiet. My new Silverado DOES get about 3mpg more than the OG 5.3s, but GM hasn't done those engines any favors since 2007!

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Good score! I've had 2 of those SUVs (I've had 7 NBS trucks total). I genuinely regret getting rid of the Silver Birch one. We don't really have any rust issues here, neither truck really gave me any problems (or any of my NBS' for that matter). That'll be a fantastic truck for him

Had just gotten married, so the $3900 240k mile '04 Tahoe replaced the $20k crewcab to get out of the payment

Then a lady decided she didn't like my Tahoe so she pulled out in front of me...

Then found a much nicer '04 GMC with the same engine and gearing, just no locker

Eventually did a 4/4 drop, NNBS 20s, '05-up pickup front brake upgrade, Spohn panhard bar, upgraded sway bars, retrofitted Denali lights, LED tails, yada yada. Drove it till about 220k, I got divorced and traded it off to a buddy for an LB7 Duramax

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice! Except for the accident part...
Yeah they seem pretty bulletproof. I see a **** ton of them, including trucks here at work with 200-300k. Rarely with a replaced engine.

I told myself this would be a drive only, spend nothing vehicle, but damnnn I just looked at the picture again. Those grampa wheels gotta go!

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Curious observation. Both Tahoes NO rust seemingly, like most coastal PNW vehicles, both 19 years old when purchased. This one 04, old one 01. Paint is good, chassis good, original exhausts in good shape, but both of them, all 4 suspension bump stops rusted off and left the vehicles....like nothing left but a rusty flaking mess where the bumpstops used to reside...

Oh, and the new one is missing a tow hook. Got ripped clean off the frame, LOL. Someone got stuck and got the good ole boy yanker out with a chain with 10' of slack in it!
If anyone has a tow hook and a passenger side mirror in that pewter color in the Seattle area, I'm looking for one of each!

Oh, and damn those early 5.3s are so smooth and quiet. My new Silverado DOES get about 3mpg more than the OG 5.3s, but GM hasn't done those engines any favors since 2007!
Nice truck. I'd get it. Seems like a good buy. Those trucks are good rigs.

Theres a 04 suburban at the junkyard right now in that same color with 2 good mirror frames, might have a tow hook too, didn't notice.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Nice! Except for the accident part...
Yeah they seem pretty bulletproof. I see a **** ton of them, including trucks here at work with 200-300k. Rarely with a replaced engine.

I told myself this would be a drive only, spend nothing vehicle, but damnnn I just looked at the picture again. Those grampa wheels gotta go!
I was shocked at how much I fell in love with that thing. Even with the 4/4 drop, Belltech SP shocks and 20s, it rode like a Cadillac. Handled good for a big girl too. The only downside was 14mpg no matter what I did

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice truck. I'd get it. Seems like a good buy. Those trucks are good rigs.

Theres a 04 suburban at the junkyard right now in that same color with 2 good mirror frames, might have a tow hook too, didn't notice.
Yes I did get it. Already been packing on the miles.
Appreciate the offer to look for the parts but don’t want to burden you. I’m sure I can find them locally or a new mirror isn’t expensive.
Idk how broke it is even. Works fine but has some gorilla tape on it.
Not like there’s a shortage of these things up here. It’s literally the most incognito vehicle ever. I saw 4 or 5 the same color today. And would have had to take my shoes off to count all the other color ones. Passed 2 more tonight just on a back road.

Derick C.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
454/700r4
My neighbors have a Yukon the same color as the one you just got. Lol

Grit dog

Full Access Member