Smokes way to much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluecamden85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
So my truck smokes a lot way too much. Not black smoke. Start up and driving it smokes. always has ,since I got it 1 year ago.i haven't driven it much maybe 30 miles. I changed the spark plugs a week ago. They were f*cked don't know how it even ran And don't know how old spark plugs have been in. Anywho I thought valve seals the rope method. I only took apart the number 1 cylinder spark plug and exhaust valve spring. Not the intake spring yet. It had a hard umbrella seal with no o ring and it was chipped at the bottom not sure if I did it when pressing down on spring. Do I need both new umbrella and o rings. Or just one or the other. Also here is a pic of the new spark plug after driving it maybe 4 miles since I have changed it last week. I've never done this and any feedback would help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412-212252.png
    Screenshot_20230412-212252.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 43

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is the head cut for PC seals? If so get a set. If oil is migrating past the guides those seals will substantially reduce oil consumption.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Pull the plugs, disable the ignition, wire the throttle wide open, and do a compression test.

Rule of thumb is there shouldn’t be more than 20% difference between the highest and lowest cylinder. Be sure to crank the engine the same number of pumps on each cylinder. The first pump of air should equal at least half the final number.

If the numbers are low but fairly even, that indicates a possible timing chain issue. Put a few tablespoons of clean oil on the cylinder, do the compression test again if there is a huge increase, then the rings are shot.

You can do a leakdown test to further test the health of the engine.

If it pours blue smoke out the tailpipe but otherwise runs well, most likely it’s just tired.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Changed my VSS twice for the same reason. Decided I did not do a good job and had a local shop do them. That made it worse. Finally just pulled the engine. 3 pistons with broken rings and 1 with a side skirt broke off. :shrug:

bluecamden85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
Didn't know any body commented on here till know. I changed the valve seals umbrellas. some seals where cracked everywhere they had no top to em. I think I had 3 out of the 16 that was in good shape. I'm guessing they were original cause they where all hard black seals. Went to machine shop and got the all rubber seals. I did put the o rings and umbrella seals on intake side only and just umbrella seals on exhaust side. Started it for few minutes smoking a little bit but still but I gotta replace the spark plugs again. Didn't want to cause I just replaced them before I did the seals. Price is crazy anymore. Keep it updated after work when I drive it to see if it clears up.

bluecamden85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
I'll probably still do a compression test. I thought if it was rings the smoke would be black ? It runs good. Although it does take awhile to idle. electric choke. Holley.

bluecamden85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
It's grey smoke . pretty sure. I've just been kinda lazy on the choke. Cold weather. I was going threw some oil pretty fast. A quart or so every week just driving around the block few times. The valve seals about 7 or 8 didn't have the tops connected.

Last edited:

bluecamden85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
Update. Trucks not smoking drove around for about 30 min. And no smoking. Relieved. Happy happy. Just to put it out there but the valve spring compressor rent a tool at AutoZone and O'Reilly's was junk . Good ole harbor freight was great .

85 Squarebody76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C1500
Engine Size
We used to use ford umbrella seals back in my day and they worked great instead of the O-ring factory style. And NO the guides were not ever machined for them either back then...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad