Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
my exhaust rocker on cylinder one is receiving no oil when the oil pump is getting turned over. its a brand new crate motor, im assuming the oil passage is blocked. what's the best way to clean that passageway?

edit: i've tried plugging all other holes on drivers bank and running at 60 psi for a good amount of time. this is a napa crate motor and it would be a shame to have to tear down due to being on the edge of a finished restoration and making the motor look very pretty.

all i know is this motor was 11 weeks late on delivery and is turning out to be a total pile of ****. brand new crate 350 should have 0 issuess. i am using an oil priming tool attached to a cordless driver.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You would need to pull the lifter and see if you have oil in that lifter hole. If you have oil pressure at the lifter, then you have a bad lifter or a plugged pushrod.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Are you turning it over at the crank while running the primer, sometimes that helps???

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
solution found, just keep running it with a drill and eventually it will come. spun it for 30+ minutes

devin bianco

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale k10
Engine Size
cummins QSK95
thanks for the responses guys

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Are you turning it over at the crank while running the primer, sometimes that helps???

This is the way. I usually put the priming tool in, get it spinning and then turn the crank slowly in 90 degree increments for two full engine revolutions and that's usually all it takes to get oil across the entire top end. The cliffs notes version is A hydraulic lifter works in such a way that it uses oil pressure to fill or "pump up" (there's bad lifter "pump up" but for the sake of this explanation lets just say the oil is pumping the lifter full which is what its doing) the lifter but the oil passage to a lifter body is only exposed when the lifter is down on the heel of the cam. So if you prime the engine but don't rotate it, whatever lifters are up on their respective lobes have the port to the lifter blocked and thus no oil can get into the lifter and through the push rod up to the top end of the engine. Always rotate the engine while priming.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20