SM465 linkage question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Today I replaced all 4 shocks on my pickup. While changing the drivers side front shock, I disconnected what I believe is the clutch fork spring to allow for a greater range of motion when tightening/loosening the upper shock mount bolt. I reconnected the spring when I was finished. After taking the truck for a ride, I started hearing the clutch pedal "chatter". Since this was a new issue, I crawled back under the truck and discovered that the spring was gone. I looked at my service manual and believe I identified the part as the clutch fork spring. The spring loops into the eyelet on the shaft in the picture below and then to somewhere on the frame. If anyone can snap a photo of this spring & where it connects on the frame, I would be extremely grateful. If at all possible, the overall length and the length of the coiled section would be appreciated. Also, if this spring has another name, please let me know so I can get the right part. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Pretty much any capable spring that can hook to a convenient hole in the frame works.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
I just swapped in a 465 and i put two springs on the linkage. An anti-rattle spring and a fork pull back spring. See pics. I used the anti-rattle spring between the clutch fork and the zbar, parallel to the threaded rod. I used the fork pull back spring between the clutch fork and the frame, in a hole that put some tension on the spring. I got the parts from 4speed conversions online. They are also showing a Clutch fork return spring for our trucks too(last pic), but im pretty sure i used the other one. Ill tryn get a pic in a little bit, if not, tomorrow.

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Pics. Hopefully they help. Not the greatest. Linkage from above:

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
Spring to frame
End of spring on outside of frame

K201979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hippie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350ci
And linkage from underneath.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Got it all squared away. Thanks for the reply and pictures!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
How strong a spring is the return supposed to be? Im willing to bed my grandpa used any old random spring he found for the return, which is why clutching my truck is like weight lifting.

84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I picked up a ~8” spring with a 9/16 body from ace for $3. Has worked fine thus far. I’d be willing to bet that the one that I lost was not OEM

4 Speed

Reaction score
First Name
Russ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The main thing you need the return spring to do, is pull the clutch pedal against the stop, and hold the fork and throwout bearing away from the pressure plate fingers.
Any spring that does that consistently will work.
When using one spring, pull from the fork toward the front of the vehicle. And make sure, the pedal is against the stop and the spring is stretched. The spring will stretch more when the pedal is stretched.
The reason you want the spring stretched with the pedal up, is so it won't jump off when the pedal slams the pedal stop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224