SM465 L-2-3-4, can't shift into 2nd unless completely stopped (solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Here's my suggestion until the space aliens quit messing with you, when moving slowly (2 to 5 mph perhaps) shift into neutral, let clutch out, and "blip" the gas pedal a little to spin the gears, stab the clutch pedal in and see if it goes into gear.
The theory is just like driving a semi, shift by rpm so the gears line up and mesh.
That has almost always worked for me every vehicle I have owned that didn't shift into gear as the theory of having synchros should have taken care of.
With a little careful practice, you should have no trouble using the same method to shift into granny gear (not synchronized) while moving, it's just a matter of getting the rpm right with the vehicle speed.

Last edited:

discuspro

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
1981, 1983
Truck Model
C10 shortbed, C30 shortbed/ flatbed
Engine Size
305, 350
Mtnmankev, gold sticker for you! That works! I've heard about this quite a bit, but I kept getting it wrong. I would have the clutch in, then rev, then try the shift into 2nd (L-2-3-4). Doesn't work.

Doing what you said to rev, hit the clutch, and shift works!

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Mtnmankev, gold sticker for you! That works! I've heard about this quite a bit, but I kept getting it wrong. I would have the clutch in, then rev, then try the shift into 2nd (L-2-3-4). Doesn't work.

Doing what you said to rev, hit the clutch, and shift works!
Thanks for the gold sticker ... I'm glad it worked for you !!
As you have learned, the secret is to get ALL the gears spinning.
I have driven stick shifts since 1968, and semis over the road long haul, so I have encountered just about anything possible with a clutch and manual transmission in my life.
I'm thankful I can share my experience to help others while I am still able to.
This forum is chock full of many GREAT people with LOTS of know-how and experience, and they are always willing to help a fellow member, all I ask is when you are able to help somebody, pass the favor along and have them do the same thing.
Together, we are strong and can enjoy our trucks.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
FWIW, mine doesn't like to be downshifted to first at any speed much faster than I can walk. I have learned to just leave it in 2nd and rely on the low end torque when making low speed turns. My truck has just 58K miles but someone else drove it the first 56K so I cannot say what it was like when new.

The truck I drove through my high school years was a '77 GMC 4wd and I am pretty sure I remember it being the same way.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I have found many manuals that don't like to be downshifted, for whatever reason it may be.
Probably mainly due to wear from high miles.
Synchros are soft brass and they do tend to wear quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl