Slip yoke leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
And the difference between the shaft with the weep hole and without the weep hole is that the non-weep hole yoke has a spline missing to allow space for air in between the yoke and end of the output shaft to vent internally to the trans. Some transmissions don't have a clear path for that pressure to vent inside the case, and therefore they seal the shaft and vent the yoke instead. This prevents the pressure/vacuum cycling inside the tail housing.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you JB weld it, you are effectively sealing the space there. Which means that every time the shaft tries to slide out it will create a vacuum and every time the shaft tries to slide in, it will generate pressure inside that cavity. The BEST outcome of that is that it blows the JB weld right out the end and you get your leak coming back. The worst case is that the shaft doesn't want to slide and it pushes in on the output shaft of the trans and in on the pinion of the rear diff. That's going to be extra thrust load and premature wear on U-joints and thrust washers in both the transmission and rear end. Its just as much work(or actually probably less) to just pull the rear driveline, take the 4 bolts off for the rear trans housing, replace the output seal on the rear housing(because you are already there) and pop a new o-ring in the output shaft. It's probably a 1 hour job... tops. Then you will be right back to new, non-leaking, operation for about $20 and 1 hour of your time.

If I remember Correctly 4WD trucks don’t have that seal in between the transfer case and driveshaft. I wasn’t able to replace it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If I remember Correctly 4WD trucks don’t have that seal in between the transfer case and driveshaft. I wasn’t able to replace it.

My 4wd truck doesn't have an O-ring on the slip-joint output, but it also doesn't have a weep hole in the yolk. The vent for the entire T-Case is on the housing for the output shaft though, so venting isn't an issue there.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 4wd truck doesn't have an O-ring on the slip-joint output, but it also doesn't have a weep hole in the yolk. The vent for the entire T-Case is on the housing for the output shaft though, so venting isn't an issue there.

interesting. My drive shaft yoke must be aftermarket then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshs74nova