Single DIN to shaft style?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatwater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Has anyone ever gone back from a single DIN to a shaft style radio? I would think it would be doable with with either donor dash metal or a new weld in piece. My ‘77 is cut, my son’s ‘79 is not, but he wants it to be. I’m not doing a full restore, but I would like to go retro and put in his old radio or Hermosa-style upgrade.

What says the tribe?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Has anyone ever gone back from a single DIN to a shaft style radio? I would think it would be doable with with either donor dash metal or a new weld in piece. My ‘77 is cut, my son’s ‘79 is not, but he wants it to be. I’m not doing a full restore, but I would like to go retro and put in his old radio or Hermosa-style upgrade.

What says the tribe?
Yep some people have used donor metal, and I'm sure some have use sheet metal. I'd probably try and find a donor piece. I've got sorta the same problem, except my truck was just hacked out with an ax lol.

I think full dashes can be swapped also.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Something you can do for your son's dashboard since it is not cut yet. Don't cut the complete rectangle hole. Just make two horizontal cuts from each side of the original face hole. Then bend the two sides back into the dash. That way if you chose to return a shaft style radio, just bend the two sides back forward. A couple welds and the dash would be able to receive a shaft radio.

blk81

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Flatwater, I am currently wanting to do the same thing. Mine was cut for a DIN and I want to go back with a RetroSound Hermosa. I haven't began to look for a donor dash to cut, but I think that will be difficult. '81 c10

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

*side note
Cher took good advantage of the USS MISSOURI being updated for service, prior to being sent to Iraq in support of Operation Desert Storm.

Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Something you can do for your son's dashboard since it is not cut yet. Don't cut the complete rectangle hole. Just make two horizontal cuts from each side of the original face hole. Then bend the two sides back into the dash. That way if you chose to return a shaft style radio, just bend the two sides back forward. A couple welds and the dash would be able to receive a shaft radio.
This is how the hack artist did my stereo installation.
But they were so geniusy, that they made the hole to big for the DIN head unit to stay in place. Morons.

I plan on bending it back and simply fixing it well enough that I can do the work properly to hold my new head unit.

At least they left me the metal to work with.
Do it this way for the future of the boys truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito