Should I advance my cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
A couple years ago I installed a COMP Cams Magnum 11-207-3 in my 454. The bottom end is stock, stock peanut heads, dual plane intake. Pretty stock motor other than the cam, intake, and headers and looow stock compression.

I've never been too impressed with the performance post cam install. I realize this cam is probably too big for the compression and heads I have, but at this point it's what I've got.

So here is a question. I installed the cam "straight up" dot-to-dot on the timing gears. What effect would there be if I advanced the cam a few degrees? This should bring the dynamic compression up a bit, right? Would this be beneficial in this application?

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You are probably pretty far out of the effective range of compression for that cam. When you installed it "dot to dot" there's really no way to know for sure if it's installed correctly (per the cam card) unless you degreed it which it sounds like is not the case. So with that being said, we know the cam is too big for your current combo and advancing it say 4 degrees is a small crutch and may help with the way it runs by closing the intake valves sooner to get back a little of the dynamic compression you need. but how much it will is somewhat of a guess. Is it already ground advanced per the card as a lot of cams are? The best way would be to degree that cam and find out where it's home really is. You might be for example 2 degrees retarded as installed and could advance it say 6 degrees to get it to 4 degrees of advance from spec. There are lots of variables involved here and measuring is the only way to truly know. I have a feeling no matter what you do the engine is just going to be "lazy" given the components but if money, time, parts or you're dead set on keeping that cam for now, etc. then i'd gamble on advancing it and see where you end up.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Also a set of Rhodes, or actually what I prefer more are the Crane variable duration lifters would make that cam work better at low rpms.

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Also a set of Rhodes, or actually what I prefer more are the Crane variable duration lifters would make that cam work better at low rpms.
And don't forget to get a HOLLEY!!!!! I couldn't resist!! LOL It's been awhile.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I needed that. Thanks, life's kicked me around pretty hard for awhile but feeling better now. Maybe I can start working on stuff again soon. I HOPE!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84