Shocks for 1985 C-10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texas Agman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For the last few months I have been "freshening up" my 85 Silverado C-10 and have only a couple of things left to do, and one of them is shocks. About 30,000 miles ago I installed Monroe gas shocks and I just flat haven't liked them. A guy recommended KYB Monomax shocks and i want to ask you guys if you have experience with these. This truck is not subjected to heavy duty usage here at the ranch, but I do pull a hay trailer a couple of times a year. It is 4x2 with limited slip and new front coil springs. Very limited pasture driving. Drive on dirt roads, but they are generally real good. Thanks for you help.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
On my '77 K20 when I first bought it I needed shocks badly. Being on a tight budget I looked around and I like Bilstein shocks but they are spendy. Instead I bought some KYB Monomax shocks based on some others I knew that were running them. I was quite happy with them. To me the difference between the Monomax and the Bilstein was they KYB shocks just had rubber bushings and the Bilsteins had urethane bushings.

I ran the truck like that for about 4-5 years before putting a slight lift on it and needed different shocks.

I used the truck for towing a trailer and a lot of dirt/gravel roads. I liked them.

I'm not sure how the prices on them are nowadays....

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Texas Agman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks, K20. I've got an order in for some KYB Monomax shocks and look forward to installing them. Also got upper and lower control arm bushings. Not that it matters very much, but those are some good looking shocks!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I like the KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. You can buy them for around $32 each at Rock Auto, plus get a $40 rebate on a set of 4 from KYB. https://www.kyb.com/save/

I used KYB's less expensive Excel-G OEM replacement shocks on my 82 C10 because the truck was initially a low-budget project. I paid $92 for 4 shocks and I got a $40 prepaid VISA card from KYB! Nothing wrong with them, but the Gas-A-Just will do a better job with a load in the bed.

I see where Rock Auto also has the KYB MonoMax shocks, but I have no experience with them. You might want to check out KYB's website to determine what works best for you.

***Edit: Ah, I should have read the complete thread! Hope those work out for you, and don't forget the rebate!

Good luck with those bushings. I just removed a set of 35 year old bushings, which was probably the hardest job I've ever done. Have a set of Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings that should do a better job and will be easier to install.

Last edited:

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I had Excel-Gs on my 84' C10. Very happy with those.
I put MonoMax' on my 88' R20. Also quite pleased with them, no complaints. Compressing them enough to install in the driveway (on the ground), was a bitch though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl