Shaving seam on rear cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone ever smoothed the seam on the rear of the cab, Im wanting to try any tips would be appreciated, thinking of bondo but where do you stop

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Has anyone ever smoothed the seam on the rear of the cab, Im wanting to try any tips would be appreciated, thinking of bondo but where do you stop

Bondo will crack and fall out over time. The proper way to do it is to get all of the existing seam sealer out and weld it up. It's much harder than it sounds, that seam sealer is likely hard as a rock after all those years (it was on mine). If you don't get it all out, you will get porous welds (ask me how I know!) and have to do a ton of grinding and re-welding. It's definitely worth doing right though!

Here is mine from when I was working on it. Haven't finished yet (started 2 years ago...sigh).

Take your time and let the welds cool if you go that route. I went a little too fast and warped some of the sheet metal. It's nothing a skim coat of bondo over the top won't fix, but it's just easier to avoid all together. Do a short weld on one side, then a short on the other, and wait a few minutes for it to cool. You will definitely want to use a MIG with .023 wire.

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good post foamy, I got a can of that nozzle dip as well. :waytogo:

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
I am wanting to do this too. Subscribed.

Any thoughts on how a spot blaster would do on the seam sealer? That would be my first choice as far as weld prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello