Shackle flip or rough country lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snappchevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Considering either going a 4 inch shackle flip with the HD shackles or using the 4 inch rough country lift kit, just wanted some input on what I should go with

You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Do you ever plan to haul any weight in the back? My truck is starting to edge towards the "off road only" use- but not quite there yet.

I have a '77 K20 that used to have a 3" block on 52" rear springs that had a 7 leaf pack (2.688" thick) and rated at 2,775 lbs weight rating. I bought some C20 56" rear springs that had a 9 leaf pack (3.185" thick) and rated at 2,600 lbs.

I then did the ORD 2.5" shackle flip. 2 reasons- didn't want my springs hanging down too far and with a long bed the pinion angle will be correct with a 2.5" flip. With a 4" I would have had to shim the pinion down a bit.

The result was the rear of the truck had a 5" lift. One thing I didn't expect was it also shifted the rear axle forward. I didn't like how that looked- so I installed a 0.25" axle relocation plate to move the axle back a bit.

I can still haul weight and the ride is MUCH better than what I had before.

Someday I might remove the overload leaf and use a zero rate in its place to get a softer ride. (once I get a second truck to haul stuff anyway)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512