Secret to axle removal with Gov Bomb differential????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
This 92 Yukon rear end is REALLY starting to piss me off!!!

Trying to replace a rear axle seal. Pretty straightforward (I thought) something I have done dozens of times before.

Unfortunately, the cross pin bolt broke. I’m almost 50 years old, been fooling around with cars and trucks since I was 15, first time I have ever broken one of those bolts. I bought the tool kit to extract it (nothing more than a really long drill bit, a drill guide bolt, and a couple extractors) 20 minutes later the broken bolt is out. Removing the cross bolt was easy.

Now, the next hurdle. The C-Clip REFUSES to come off the axle!!!! Usually, just pushing the axle in causes the C-clip to fall off, requiring you to fish around in nasty gear lube to find it. Not this rearend!!! The C-clip is free to spin in the retaining groove, the axle moves on and out freely, and there is actually a little slop for the C-clip to wobble on the axle. It flat out will not come off!!! I even fabricated a tool with fingers to push the clip off, thinking the clip or axle is mushroomed, no luck.

At this point, I’m obviously overlooking something. I have never owned a vehicle with this style carrier, is there a special procedure or step I’m missing?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
No sir.
It should just fall off.
That is what I did when I replaced mine in the 1995.
You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If the clutch disc's have expanded, then the side gears are too close together, or did they ride up the side gear ramp and apply? You also need to spin the C clips, they only slide out if they are lined up. A stong pencil magnet works best. That way you can spin them around while pulling them.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Turns out the Gov Bomb carrier lived up to its reputation!!! There were a few cracks in the housing, I don’t see how that prevented the c clips from coming off?

With the use of the Smoke Wrench, I was able to “persuade” the carrier to come out. . It’s going back together with a hood used Eaton clutch style limited slip.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Mine also self removed, I don't see what all the trouble you were having is about.:anitoof:

Spinning and jiggling the axle usually works if they're sticky. But 9 out of 10 times the fall off as soon as you think about touching the axle shafts lol.
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I tried for 2 days, they absolutely REFUSED to come off. What makes absolutely no sense is the fact the fit the new carrier just fine, and will slip on and fall out just like every other c clips I have ever messed with.

Now, the real kick in the teeth: the replacement axle from the salvage yard is about a 1/2 too long. There is about a 2/2 inch of brake shoe showing with the drum installed. Of course I didn’t notice this until after the rear cover was installed, and the diff filled back up with gear lube.

Are the axles the same left to right? If not, I wonder if the face me the wrong side, or completely wrong application.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey