Seam Sealer???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've got the SEM sealer ready to go. Has anyone found a good way to get it into the seams at each end of the cowl above the kick panels, the ones that run front to back? My side to side seam along the top of the firewall is still in good shape, but water is getting in at the passenger side kick panel and I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get the sealer into that seam!
If you can get your hand in there, you could take a quart freezer zip lock bag and put some sealer in the corner, then cut the corner off the bag, and squeeze it into the gap. a simple flexible clear tube from home depot to extend the tip of the seam sealer tube would work.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
3M makes a great product. I have used it in aviation on floats and windshield. You can get it in black or white I have seen it at most marinas and home depot. put it on and smooth out with a latex glove on as it is difficult to get off. It is a great adhesive also.
3M 5200
IMO 5200 or 4200 is overkill and not the right application. Also doesn’t stay flexible enough. Well 4200 is a little more flexible. Yes it would likely seal the cowl seam very well but I would stick to using it for bonding materials together and submerged applications.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the information all. I'm just going to leave the stuff I put on there then because it has all the characteristics that bucket listed. I'll just paint to match when I think it has dried enough underneith.
It’s moisture cure like most I believe so I’d expect it to take a while to cure applied thick.
Assuming it’s solvent based polyurethane like typical seam sealers.

I’ve used a tube of AC Delco on the bed floor seams and cab clamshell/firewall and I can confidently say it’s there for the long haul.
Used Dynatron on the chrome back bumper seam because it comes in grey. It is also sticking well.
Other than different color, they both applied the same.
Sort of wish the gray was a bit more self leveling as the bumper seam is flat.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I used 3M also and it came out awesome. unfortunately you'll also need a gun.

Attachments

• 3m sealer.png
    3m sealer.png
    100 KB · Views: 35
  • 3m gun.png
    3m gun.png
    149.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210427_135857.jpg
    20210427_135857.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 35

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
It says bare metal but if you look it up it can be applied to primer also. and 15 minute cure time to paint

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It says bare metal but if you look it up it can be applied to primer also. and 15 minute cure time to paint
I believe any urethane seam sealer will adhere to about any clean surface.
I just did the seam on top of a shiny chrome step bumper. Even the smallest amount was tough to peel off.
I used a razor knife to scrape a little off the chrome bumper surface. It wouldn’t peel.
Bed was done with Delco and bumper with Dynatron
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg