Sandrocks master plan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah...but the HOA wouldn't take too kindly to that sorta thing. Hell, I get funny looks when the 'burb gets pushed out of the garage on a nice day. Y'know, with it not having any front end on it and all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:flipthebird: HOA . You obviously live in a much niceer neigborhood than I do. The City is on my ass always, but I don't have an HOA to worry about.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bus1.jpg
    bus1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 210

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LOL, you're that guy Hot Rod

The city is usually on my ass about where I park my box van. In OKC area, we don't like Ryder Vans as you can imagine.

hahaha, I only had it for about 10 days. I bought it for $700 and Sold it on eBay for $1300. A guy flew here from Washington and drove it home. Sorta.

I was fun. To make sure it was road worthy, I drove it to my dads property 75 miles East of here and back. It ran 70mph just fine. More if I wanted, but 70 reasonably. My son, 11yo old at the time, got to drive it out on the state hwy toward my dads house. I figured since I can stand right there, take the wheel, hit the brake and all, that if he goofed, I could catch it. We named it, Git'R Done Express, and I did some photo chopping on the pic too.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bus5.jpg
    bus5.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 182

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
:flipthebird: HOA . You obviously live in a much niceer neigborhood than I do. The City is on my ass always, but I don't have an HOA to worry about.

Yeah, it's a brand new neighborhood...still in its infancy really. Only been here 3 months or so, but I already have a....reputation. Not bad mind you...several households have come over to see my work (rebuilding, detailing, etc) and one house actually wants me to detail all their rides (!)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, it's a brand new neighborhood...still in its infancy really. Only been here 3 months or so, but I already have a....reputation. Not bad mind you...several households have come over to see my work (rebuilding, detailing, etc) and one house actually wants me to detail all their rides (!)

In an HOA, and if you're going to work on projects outside and in the driveway, that's the best thing you can do... Is kiss ass to all the neighbors you can. :Moon:

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Didn't get home until 11 last night. At the front door were two packages for me :drool:

This morning I went ahead and sat the intake on top of the block to give me some confidence boosting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Noticed some things almost immediately. One...not enough room to install those CNG injectors, so it looks like e85 will be the way I'll head with this. Considering how often this will actually be driven, the CNG conversion, though nice, just wouldn't be feasible. I will, however, do the CNG conversion on my Bonneville, as that one is my DD.

That's the "9th" injector that you see there....it's for cold start, and is only on the early model TPIs. Won't be needed at all, so the injector port will be modified for the linear EGR, or maybe water injection. The fuel port for it (rear of the fuel rail) will be used for electric fuel pressure hookup (which I think this PCM can monitor and relay back through the Scan Gauge II)

With the use of the Vortec dizzy, there looks to be plenty of room in the back for mods like the new style MAP sensor. Though I'm pretty sure the coil goes on the passenger side.

Now, I gotta figure out the coolant bypass stuff. The Vortec pump has the two hose ports, both of which eventually go to the heater core. The L98 manifold has one port and I'm not sure where it goes (I tossed the TBI manifold so I have no reference to look at).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Woo Hoo More Toys !!! And they're shiney toys !!!

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Still been chugging along at what seems like a crawl. On an auto-related note, the VATS module on my Bonneville decided to check out for the final time, so getting that thing back up and running took priority. Still not running yet, just diagnosed...hopefully I can bypass the module altogether and be rid of it.

Anyways, progress on the beast was made nonetheless. Old busted ugliness is out of the framerails now...all that's left to do to it is take off the drivers head, flywheel, and the oil cooler assembly. I'll put an ad out on CL and see if anyone will trade me something for it...it still ran ok aside from the blown headgaskets, so it should make an excellent core block for someone.

Starting looking for ways to modifiy the intake plenum to accept the new MAP sensor...so far, two ways come to mind. The first is to drill a hole in the underside and put it there. The second is to make a custom bracket that will fasten to the intake where the dizzy cover would normally go. Also ordered a new adjustable FPR kit (needed a new one anyway since this setup was from a 305), and soon I'll be throwing on the GM L67 (supercharged 3800) injectors on the rail once I get those reringed and new filter baskets installed (I'm using them 'cuz I got them in the attic not doing anything, and they will work just fine with the 350 TPI).

warthog

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 w/4 speed muncie
Well an update to SandRock's thread....... with the price of fuel the burb shell is coming to live at my house.

Don't know what I am going to do with it yet, but at least it isn't going to the crusher. Maybe a oil burner is in it's future.

The motor will be saved for one of SandRock's future projects.

Sorry about that SandRock.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like you and Srock made a deal on the Burb. Hopefully goood for both of you. :waytogo:
Soooooooo, now you gonna bring that other 3/4 ton 4x4 gear shifter Burb back over to my house??? I got room for 1 one more in the driveway.... until my bro brings the box van back.
I think you might have the same disease I got Warthog. I'm down though, I got better. I had 9 and now down to 5 soon to be 3. I'll cut loose of one of the 4x4 trucks for a 4x4 Burb or K5 though. Hopefully someday, when funds ever get better if ever !!!

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I hated to get rid of her, but after some deep thought, it's better to get something smaller. The 'burb is just too much for the needs of myself and the family.

I've already done the hard part and "erased the slate" so to speak. No interior, no front end, so he can go any direction he wants to with it. Body is just too good to crush it.

Engine...yup, keeping it. I'll continue the build progress here since I know some of you are wanting to do the TPI conversion anyways. If I have to let go of the engine, it'll just be the long block and nothing else, and it won't be the normal "400 dollar" craigslist listing...this thing is well worth a grand as it is.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Now, I gotta figure out the coolant bypass stuff. The Vortec pump has the two hose ports, both of which eventually go to the heater core. The L98 manifold has one port and I'm not sure where it goes (I tossed the TBI manifold so I have no reference to look at).

The intake manifold port would go to one outlet of the heater core. The long water pump that is correct for the TPI application would have a single port as well which would go to the other heater core port.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Yeah, I figured that out. Also figured out that the water pump I bought doesn't cover that one hole on the passenger side that leads to the heads, so a new water pump (again) is in order. I'll get an aluminum one this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68