Rust repair - order of replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I used the first one on both sides
Yes, the other ones are called inner rockers for some terrible reason. I used the same as you, they went from corner all the way to A-pillar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yes, the other ones are called inner rockers for some terrible reason. I used the same as you, they went from corner all the way to A-pillar

This, I ordered a "inner rocker" also, it's just the piece that hooks to the cab mount.

roadracerga

Reaction score
First Name
charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Floors first, rockers second and cab corners last. You will need to weld in temporary braces so when you cut cab and rockers out the rest will not distort.
Make sure you have metal to weld to has cab been blasted to bear metal?

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
don't forget to protect the new metal when you are done. i used eastwood rust encapsulater in all the voids ( rockers,cab support,corners, and the boxed channel that runs across the back of the cab) they sell a 2' flexible hose with a spray nozzle on the end that works perfect to get in those areas. then i brushed on eastwood's undercoat on the entire bottom as i am building a daily driver.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Excellent info! Really appreciate it! I will get everything to bare metal before replacing the panels.

Is it a consensus that AMD sells the best panels for floor and rocker replacement other than the Goodmark inner rockers? Has anyone successfully used other exterior panels like cab corners and outer rockers from another vendor?

Last edited:

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
i used all LMC metal on the 2 squares i fixed ( floors, rockers, inner rockers, supports, and corners) with no issues. there is always going to be some tweaking required here and there. it was 18ga same as original.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Excellent info! Really appreciate it! I will get everything to bare metal before replacing the panels.

Is it a consensus that AMD sells the best panels for floor and rocker replacement other than the Goodmark inner rockers? Has anyone successfully used other exterior panels like cab corners and outer rockers from another vendor?

All my stuff came from Classicparts.com and were Key brand parts, 18 gauge also.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I contacted Classic Parts and they said most of their metal is 18 gauge but that most of the current panels do not come from Key. They said they are from Taiwan but would not name the brands they use.

I'm probably like everyone else in that I want to get good value for the price. Most of the companies I've researched seem to have extreme shipping costs. LMC charges $20 for each oversized part. To ship everything I need, I would pay over $50 at LMC. Summit charges only $10 shipping for a similar AMD oversized part and free shipping for a total purchase over a certain amount (not including oversized parts). Classic parts seems to have a better deal with $20 shipping for all of the parts I need.

Jegs sells mostly Golden Star but I don't know anything about them.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I contacted Classic Parts and they said most of their metal is 18 gauge but that most of the current panels do not come from Key. They said they are from Taiwan but would not name the brands they use.

I'm probably like everyone else in that I want to get good value for the price. Most of the companies I've researched seem to have extreme shipping costs. LMC charges $20 for each oversized part. To ship everything I need, I would pay over $50 at LMC. Summit charges only $10 shipping for a similar AMD oversized part and free shipping for a total purchase over a certain amount (not including oversized parts). Classic parts seems to have a better deal with $20 shipping for all of the parts I need.

Jegs sells mostly Golden Star but I don't know anything about them.

The price and shipping is why I went with Classic Parts, after the Tabco debacle.

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just drive to summit and pickup anything I need [emoji23]‍

Nice being about 35 min away

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I rolled into NPD this afternoon to check out their panels. I was happy to find out they sell Key parts (Tri Plus) and everything was 18 gauge. I picked up most of everything I'll need for this part of the build. Prices were very good compared to some others although Classic Parts may have been slightly better on some things. At least I didn't have to pay shipping.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I have to recommend Key Parts. My son researched American made parts and overwhelmingly people responded to get Key Parts. They are original gauge parts that the body shop guys said fit the best of all the aftermarket parts they put on. Shipping wasn't too hateful either. As i recall the shipping hit it's limit at $200 for the entire oversize parts order. I'll ask him where he ordered them from but I think it was direct from Key Parts. At least check them out.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I have to recommend Key Parts. My son researched American made parts and overwhelmingly people responded to get Key Parts. They are original gauge parts that the body shop guys said fit the best of all the aftermarket parts they put on. Shipping wasn't too hateful either. As i recall the shipping hit it's limit at $200 for the entire oversize parts order. I'll ask him where he ordered them from but I think it was direct from Key Parts. At least check them out.

Key Parts brand are not stamped in the US, but they are good quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast