Rust Attack Part I

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Man..... thats some pain in the ass rust. I would just pack all that **** with epoxy and drive it until it falls apart.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, when you dive into a project....you dive in!....:roflbow:...Doesn't look to be too bad of a fix....I've seen a hell of a lot worse. I wish I had the guts to just dive in on stuff like this.....
The worst lookin is where the wheel well halfs meet that side wall, the seam is totally destroyed. The driver side isn't bad, the pass side is ****. And where the wheel well meets the rear door pillars on each side is pretty wasted. I was able to stick the camera in the speaker holes and get some soths inside the inner and outer skins. I think my plan is going to be to cut out what rust I can get to and patch the wheel wells from outside/underneath. Then when I cut some of the rust off the outside wheel arches, I am going to try and stick some angled sheet metal on top of the wheel well and against the inner side wall on both side of the inner wall ti tie it all together, the major thing is to get those wheel wells to the point that **** aint spraying inside of the truck and causing more rust. That seems to be the starting point of most of the damage. Also the running boards will be next off the truck. They are clogged full of silt and dirt behind each end in the front and rear wheel well corners very bad. Here's some shots from inside the speaker holes of the inner fender and inner door jambs.

You must be registered for see images

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Man..... thats some pain in the ass rust. I would just pack all that **** with epoxy and drive it until it falls apart.
It may come down to that, any suggestions and what materials please post. I just want to slow down what is already damaged and fix it enough to keep it on the road for a few more years if I can. I will definatly need to buy some outer panels for those wheel well rockers.

If I were to half assed it with epoxy what do you recommend that is cheap?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I cant think of the name of the **** or where I saw it but its some sort of epoxy you mix with fiber material you can just gob into the rusted out parts. Let me do some googling and see if I can find something similar.

The rust will keep eating away at everything but the epoxy could get you through the next few years until you find a donor body or whole other suburban to swap all your stuff over to.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Ok Old77, here's what ya been waiting for ya *****. :baby:

Just now got a chance to look a these pics cuz they wouldn't come up on my phone while at the gym.

It looks like you'll definitely need to replace those wheel wells. If you know of a guy who can weld you may want to give him a holler! :D

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Now that I've seen all the other pics, too, you've got a lot of work ahead of you there, big guy. I'm not sure of the epoxy that Iman is talking about but if you're not going to keep this burb for long term then you might just consider it just to get you buy.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
At the very least go get about five cans of Rustoleum rust converter spray paint and hose those inner panels to keep the rust from spreading any further. POR15 is probably better stuff but it costs quite a bit more and doesn't come in aerosol form. I have basically repainted my truck from stem to stern with the stuff (the Rustoleum, that is)and it does a pretty decent job of slowing the tin worm down to a crawl. A good cheapie idea for filling and rust-preventing in interior panels like inside the door jambs is to fill the suckers with Readifoam! It may be ghetto, but it works...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Now that I've seen all the other pics, too, you've got a lot of work ahead of you there, big guy. I'm not sure of the epoxy that Iman is talking about but if you're not going to keep this burb for long term then you might just consider it just to get you buy.
I only paid 800 bucks for it 2 years ago, and it was a real good girl, but she is starting to nickle and dime the **** out of me all of a sudden. But I get real attached to my vehicles, so I am trying to find the middle road. I know it's a rusty clusterfuck. I really had some ambition joining this site and trying to keep this thing going, but the new vehicle itch is starting to grow after all yer comments. I would like to get my money's worth out of this truck and probably move onto something else. Rral shame because she is a real prety Burban in my eyes....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
At the very least go get about five cans of Rustoleum rust converter spray paint and hose those inner panels to keep the rust from spreading any further. POR15 is probably better stuff but it costs quite a bit more and doesn't come in aerosol form. I have basically repainted my truck from stem to stern with the stuff (the Rustoleum, that is)and it does a pretty decent job of slowing the tin worm down to a crawl. A good cheapie idea for filling and rust-preventing in interior panels like inside the door jambs is to fill the suckers with Readifoam! It may be ghetto, but it works...
I got to get spme of that rustoleum ****, is it litle guy priced? Should I waste my time?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's not high priced at all and you can find it almost anywhere. It'd at least slow the rust down a little bit:)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I only paid 800 bucks for it 2 years ago, and it was a real good girl, but she is starting to nickle and dime the **** out of me all of a sudden. But I get real attached to my vehicles, so I am trying to find the middle road. I know it's a rusty clusterfuck. I really had some ambition joining this site and trying to keep this thing going, but the new vehicle itch is starting to grow after all yer comments. I would like to get my money's worth out of this truck and probably move onto something else. Rral shame because she is a real prety Burban in my eyes....

Well, don't let me talk you into anything. Personally, I like your burb! But with the work it needs you just need to decide if you're going to keep it long term or just a little while longer. If long term, then tear into that thing piece by piece but take your time. If just a little while longer then you know what to do. :) my truck was not in much better shape than yours is when I got it but I bought it knowing I'd never part with it so I tackled each issue bit by bit and definitely went SLOW due to finances. 7+ years later here we are :shrug:

I say all this just to help you analyze what you got and where you want to go with her. If you're attached (I know I sure am to my 77!!) then maybe it's worth doing what it takes to get her right and hanging on to her long term.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
89suburban, I don`t want to make you sick but, A friend of mine just parted out an 89 suburban that was the same color combo as yours and the body had no rust at all and the paint was in great shape too.

He tried to sell the truck but nobody wanted it so he parted it and junked the body for scrap, I wanted to take it just to save it from the crusher but i have no room. He wanted $200 for it but i could have had it for nothing. And since you`re a fellow flyer fan i would have convinced him to give it to you for free too!

I found this site about six months too late.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
It may come down to that, any suggestions and what materials please post. I just want to slow down what is already damaged and fix it enough to keep it on the road for a few more years if I can. I will definatly need to buy some outer panels for those wheel well rockers.

If I were to half assed it with epoxy what do you recommend that is cheap?

BONDO REINFORCED BODY FILLER it has chopped fiberglass in it and you have to buy red hardener when you use it but it is some tough ****.

i used plywood, expanding canned foam and bondo hair when i fixed my cab floor :roflbow:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000