Running speaker wire to the rear single cab speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello ya'll,

I'll be doing a cab swap soon, and when I put the new cab on I'll be installing sound deadener and rubber matting. While I'm there I'd like to run new speaker wire to the speakers(that I'll be installing later). My question is, what kind of wiring should I use? I have no problem spending money on good wire, I want a solid foundation for a 4 speaker setup I'll be using. I'll be using dual speakers I got brand new for $10 a pair, but I'll be upgrading down the road to something much better because I only want 4 speakers and no sub(for cost, ease of install, etc.). My HU is an 2010ish Kenwood exceleron but I love it and I don't plan on replacing it unless it breaks.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
18g or 20g will be plenty.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Should I need any special speaker wire to help with sound quality, or I should just use basic insulated wire?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Should I need any special speaker wire to help with sound quality, or I should just use basic insulated wire?

Just basic insulated wire will work fine. A good crimp and connectors will make the biggest difference.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup I have plenty of good wire and crimp connectors with heat shrink. Thanks!

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If your going to the hassle of running new wire.. installing a good set up.. don't use normal wire for your speakers, Use speaker wire. Solder and heat shrink the connections also.. 50 feet of decent speaker wire cost me 12 bucks.

yeol1

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good wire makes all the difference. I personally always use 12ga but I also normally run an amp for everything. If your just using you head unit 16ga will be fine, but if it was me I would run good quality 12ga and not worry about it later.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You guys have a point, and the 12ga is a good idea. I can be very indecisive about mods and I like the idea of wiring an amp in for the speakers. I'm not a sub guy, so wiring an amp might be a good move if I'll only have 4 speakers.

yeol1

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I know with mine I wish I put an amp in. At idle the speakers are loud enough but when driving especially with the windows down I have to turn my head unit all the way up to hear my music. Also already having the amp wired in gives you flexibility. I know JL makes a 5 channel amp incase you want a sub later. They also make a 6.5in sub that sounds amazing. Just enough added low end to make your music sound better but not enought to rattle you or be annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80