Running rough when the engine warms up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey guys I have been trying to figure out the problem, when i start the truck and drive it, it runs great. once it gets up to temp it start running rough and hesitant. i don't think this has much to do with it but recently the temp gauge just started climbing all the way to the max hot side. I put it on a scanner twice now it and it is not actually that hot. is there something that would cause this? thanks

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Hey guys I have been trying to figure out the problem, when i start the truck and drive it, it runs great. once it gets up to temp it start running rough and hesitant. i don't think this has much to do with it but recently the temp gauge just started climbing all the way to the max hot side. I put it on a scanner twice now it and it is not actually that hot. is there something that would cause this? thanks
What temp is the Coolant Temp Sensor reading. TBI motor?.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
yes TBI motor, when we hooked the scanner to it was reading 185° the second time it was 187°.

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
yes TBI motor, when we hooked the scanner to it was reading 185° the second time it was 187°.
That's a little low. You should be closer to 195 degree's. Mine run's between 190 and 195. Do you have a 195 degree thermostat installed in your engine?. That's what it require's.

Clayton

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i will go grab one and rule that out cause i am not sure. thanks man

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
It also could be a vacuum leak.

Durfman77

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
1994 /2001
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
5.7/5.3
i will go grab one and rule that out cause i am not sure. thanks man
Been working on my truck for ten months now somewhat different than yours but along same lines,,,, Did the fuel pump---All sending units for Temps---TBI rebuilt----Idle control replaced--New distributor & plugs and ICM----BUT got to thinking about timing so put timing light on engine while was running Ruff and timing was All over the place????----So got another ICM and WOW!! Ran perfect and timing stayed perfect,, Thats what it was all along with me,,,--------------My truck ran bad when started then after few minutes was ok so might not be it BUT would check out timing???

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
Been working on my truck for ten months now somewhat different than yours but along same lines,,,, Did the fuel pump---All sending units for Temps---TBI rebuilt----Idle control replaced--New distributor & plugs and ICM----BUT got to thinking about timing so put timing light on engine while was running Ruff and timing was All over the place????----So got another ICM and WOW!! Ran perfect and timing stayed perfect,, Thats what it was all along with me,,,--------------My truck ran bad when started then after few minutes was ok so might not be it BUT would check out timing???
Did you set your's to 0 degree's?. TBI motors need to be set to 0 degree's at base idle. Alway's carry a spare ICM in your truck.

Clayton

Durfman77

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
1994 /2001
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
5.7/5.3
Did you set your's to 0 degree's?. TBI motors need to be set to 0 degree's at base idle. Alway's carry a spare ICM in your truck.

Clayton

Yes I set at zero---Can,t believe how the timing light bounce all over then like snap back in place,,,,

m1000snopro

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i actually had an ICM go out about 3 months ago and i replaced that. but thank you for the idea and i place to check. i will look into timing, it has been quite awhile since i have checked it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78