Round Headlight Upgrades???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anybody do an upgrade to their round headlight square? What parts did you use? Was it really as easy as it seems? How satisfied with the results are you? I have been doing a little research on doing an upgrade and have landed on a bunch of Jeep forums. They are good for getting to know what housings are reccomended, but they are just not a squarebody.

So far this is my thinking. I have seen an HD headlight harness a couple of places to draw power directly from the battery, and not thru the headlight switch. Seems like a no brainer to me. People seem to really like the Hella E-code housings in their Jeeps. Most of them that have done this upgrade do not even bother to put on an additional light bar for extra off road lights. If this is all that is needed for an easy upgrade, that would be fabulous!

I thought I saw a write up from 78 Chevyrado on this subject, but I can't seem to find it back now. Thanks in advance for replies.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did the harness upgrade from LMC and then installed the top of the line Sylvania bulbs... My God, what a difference... I started to wonder how I saw anything at night in the truck I had back in high school.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I just put in the Hella eurospec H4 lights in my truck this last weekend. The beam cutoff is great in the fog- prevents light from being thrown upward and back into your eyes. Besides- what good is it throwing light upward when you are trying to see the road that is down below? (the pic below is of JUST the passenger headlight)

Best to do the LMC upgraded harness at the same time. Otherwise you need to hack up the plastic "cup" that goes around the old sealed beams. It doesn't fit around the back of the new lights.

I just got some H4 55/100W bulbs but haven't put them in yet. Figured it made sense to keep the low beams legal, then light up everything when there isn't other traffic around.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info 77 K20! I am in the process of obtaining the parts slowly. I did get a harness for the newer H4 bulbs as you said would be needed. I just need to get the actual headlights now. This is were I am looking to get them from....

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

These are the ones you got correct? I am pretty sure they are, just looking for confirmation. Where did you get yours from and how much? Thanks again.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Thanks for the info 77 K20! I am in the process of obtaining the parts slowly. I did get a harness for the newer H4 bulbs as you said would be needed. I just need to get the actual headlights now. This is were I am looking to get them from....

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739

These are the ones you got correct? I am pretty sure they are, just looking for confirmation. Where did you get yours from and how much? Thanks again.

I've been gone a few days... I looked at those but ended up ordering from Amazon. It was cheaper and free shipping ($71.93)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G72SKQ/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

I drove 260 miles with the new 55/100 watt bulbs and the new headlights. Didn't get flashed once on low beam. High beam was fantastic.

itsachevy

Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 cheyenne
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Ill tell you this -having used the square headlights i find the rounds are waaaay better at focusing the light downward in fog - i changed the stock bulbs out for sylvanias and wired from existing wiring to relays powered by the battery - big improvement -

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info itsachevy.

I have the harness and bulbs now. When I do the swap I plan on doing a little write up. Nothing is getting done on the truck until spring. It is sleeping in my dads barn while the roads are covered in salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly