Rough ride even with 3+1 leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Last year I replaced my 82 C10 short bed stock springs with some new "3+1" stock replacement springs from TruckSpring.com. From what I can tell by the limited GM specs, the new springs are just a little firmer than the factory springs. The springs are P/N 22-525 which is a common P/N among vendors.

Even after almost a year and around 500-800 miles, they are quite stiff, and the ride with an empty bed is really "bouncy-bounce". It's not a bad-shock type bounce, but bucking bronco rough over some roads. Shocks are fairly new KYB G-series, which are OE replacement models.

My old 69 C10 has coil springs and it's a long bed, but it rides like Cadillac compared to my 82. Any ideas on how to make the ride smoother?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ll be installing ORD custom springs soon. They use a many thin leaves instead of a few thick ones. Supposed to make the truck a little softer than a 1/2 ton. Also going to run the sway bar disconnect. I’m pairing them with these shocks:

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/5.asp

Not a cheap solution (~$2500 for springs and shocks), but looking forward to the difference.

You could always link/coil the truck if you want to go all out.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I made this mistake in the early 90's when building my El Camino. I tightened the rear suspension links while the car was on jack stands with the suspension drooped. When I set it down it was too high and rode stiff.

If you did not tighten the leaf spring and shackle bolts when the truck was static on level ground, do so. It will take any bind out of the spring bushings.

climb-101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2 crew cab
Engine Size
6.0 LS
longer springs help but you have to do some fab work to make them fit

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I’ll be installing ORD custom springs soon. They use a many thin leaves instead of a few thick ones. Supposed to make the truck a little softer than a 1/2 ton. Also going to run the sway bar disconnect. I’m pairing them with these shocks:

http://www.doetsch-shocks.com/5.asp

Not a cheap solution (~$2500 for springs and shocks), but looking forward to the difference.

You could always link/coil the truck if you want to go all out.

Wish I could afford ORD springs. The flex would be heavenly. Lol

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
When I did my spring over kit I looked over the stock shackle for the rear leaf springs. I was shocked to see that the inner sleeve of the bushing had pretty much a lock washer built into it. Then the stock shackle had pretty much the same thing. Looks like it was designed for the shackle never to move or flex- any flexing has to be done by the rubber.

So my thought is maybe replace the rubber bushing with ORDs grease-able ones. And maybe smooth down the stock shackles a bit. Then hitting a bump the shackle can move more freely and will absorb some of the jolts.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/greasebushings.htm

The shackle flip makes the stock springs ride great- but I don't know how much of that is due to the shackle being flipped and how much is from the new shackles and bushings. A shackle flip will lift it-which i'm sure you don't want.

If that doesn't work then maybe look at that overload leaf. Do you ever haul weight in the back? Maybe you don't need it? Taking it out will lower it a bit. Can put an axle relocation plate there to add 1/4" or they do make 1" zero rates. Both of those can be used just to provide lift and not move the axle.

Maybe a shorter overload leaf that won't touch the spring pack above it as much?

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Axle Offset Plates.html

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm

Just some ideas anyway.

Last edited:

Jalopy_J

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'd be curious to know how the ORD custom springs compare to the Tuff Country ones they also sell for a lot less. I need to do something on mine. It has the HD front spring option on it and while it provides a 1" lift over the standard duty spring, holy cow is it stiff. It was meant to have a heavy-ass snowplow hanging off the front end.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I went from the 2" Tuff Country HD springs (which provided 3' on a small block and no winch bumper) to 4" ORD custom springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Tuff Country ones I thought rode fairly well once I removed the sway bar. There is no leaning in corners since they are stiff enough.
The ORD springs are a lot softer. On the highway I think they feel the same but if you hit a bad bump or a huge pothole it used to be a big pucker/hang on moment. Now it just soaks it up.
With both springs I did replace the stock bumpstop with a better longer aftermarket one.

You must be registered for see images

I guess one thing that bothered me though was since the ORD springs have a lot more travel I had very bad bumpsteer. Had to try several combinations until it was gone.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It has the HD front spring option on it and while it provides a 1" lift over the standard duty spring, holy cow is it stiff.

I had 4" Tuff Country EZ Rides on my '79 K15. It rode great. I have the 3" HD's on my K30 since it has a 454. The only difference between the EZ and the HD is the 4th leaf at the bottom of the pack.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I was shocked to see that the inner sleeve of the bushing had pretty much a lock washer built into it. Then the stock shackle had pretty much the same thing. Looks like it was designed for the shackle never to move or flex- any flexing has to be done by the rubber.

I'm don't think that's the case with my spring eye and upper shackle bushings, but I will check them. The only bushings I have seen that acted like torsion bars are idler arm bushings on older manual steering cars. The idea was for them to help return the steering to center.

On another note, a properly installed sway bar should not affect ride stiffness, because the bar simply "goes along for the ride" until one side of the axle drops or rises relative to the other. But even then, the ride should not be rougher, only flatter through turns.

***And thanks for all the comments, guys. :)

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Although this isn't the exact spring bushing this is what my truck had design wise:

That inner sleeve bites into the shackle.

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
You could give SULASTIC shackles a try, they are supposed to really supple up a short leaf spring set up by preloading the shackle angle and taking some of the static load off the leaves. Have not tried them myself yet but have heard some good things. There are some vids on youtube, sorry I do not have any links.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg