Rotor Replacement - '79 K15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
So, after i bought my new toy i dropped in a place for a free brake inspection. They say i need lines, rotors, pads and rear cylinders. All to be expected. They want $900. Yeah...right.

So I'm looking for the parts and find two different front rotors. One with hub and the other, ostensibly, without.

Question is - is this a choice i have to make or is it determined by having full-time 4-wheel drive (NP203) and not having manual hubs or something else?

The rotors with hubs are almost 2x the price of the hubless variety and i'd like to get my parts before tearing down the front end. Either would have to be ordered and i can't have an inoperable vehicle in my driveway if i'm not actively working on it. Damn HOA - wait, I'm the president.

Thanks.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The rotors without the hubs would require you to remove the rotors from the old hub and press on the new rotor. It would similar to a knock off rotor used on a more modern car and then be pressed into the hub. Without any pics I would recc you buy new rotors with hubs since simple and quick is what you are after. Remember you are going to have to take apart the hubs to see if its worth even trying to salvage them and then you'll need to have them pressed out.

It has nothing to do with which transfer case you have or manual hubs etc.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Do I have to replace the wheel bearings at the same time or would it be smart to?

Besides the rotors, pads and fluid what else has to / should be replaced at the same time?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rotors aren't pressed onto the hubs, they are held in by the wheel studs. I always just knock the studs out, set the new rotor on the hub, then knock the new studs in. An air hammer makes it a cake walk, but it can be done with a sledgehammer.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
The rotors aren't pressed onto the hubs, they are held in by the wheel studs.

Oops, I got some bad info from one of my buddies. Another thing to note, it only takes 15 minutes to pop the hub/rotor off and inspect it. You can always put it right back on and then order your parts.

I learned something new today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota