reverse cooling 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allweld488

Reaction score
First Name
chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
355 tbi
Ok,I have a 87 tbi k20 truck but it has a 91 engine in it that has the reverse cooling in it, does anyone know the benefits of this or is this engine even suppost to have it? it seems a lot harder to get it full of coolant and it builds a lot of pressure IMO because its constantly pushing coolant into radiator until the thermostat opens, which takes alittle while, it just seems like a lot of un needed pressure to me. if this motor was never meant to be reverse then maybe that explains it, but I am un sure of that, any thoughts would help.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The pump has a reversed-vane impeller for the serpentine belt but the flow of coolant through the engine is the same. True reversed flow cooling was introduced in the 1992 LT1.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The pump has a reversed-vane impeller for the serpentine belt but the flow of coolant through the engine is the same. True reversed flow cooling was introduced in the 1992 LT1.

^^^This.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
If you have the serpentine drive, keep the reverse flow pump. If you have v-belts, you need the pump made for your truck. You would certainly experience problems circulating coolant if you have a mixed match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman