Replacing fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I need to replace the fuel tank on my 82 GMC Shortbox. It has a TBI motor that might be from a different truck.

I know I need to replace the tank and straps... what else should I do when I'm in there?

Thanks

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about the fuel sending unit and seal? This place has good pricing. Also clean your ground wire while under there. Also I'd check/replace any rubber connection lines and clamps. :)

http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Some people say yes,some people say no,but,My personal experience is to pull the box.By doing that,all the connections can be thoroughly cleaned before any disconnections and it could save allowing a bunch of dirt to enter into the fueling system.
As HRPC once stated,two tough guy,or,four sissies,is all it takes to lift the box and set it onto a couple of saw horses,My personal experience,also,is,unhook the ground strap to fuel filler neck before lifting the box.please do`nt ask Me how I know this.:emotions122::emotions33:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26