removing rear leaf packs eyebolts and U bolts without a torch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And make it a 5 point one as well!

I just had to cut through some frozen control arm bolts on my Tahoe. There is a new Diablo metal cutting blade with large teeth you would swear would only work for wood. Man was I wrong it cut through that 20 mm bolt head like hot knife on butter.

That was my first thought too! It looked like a wood blade. The large tooth version doesn't always work on hardened bolts, it just depends on the specific bolt hardness and metallurgical properties I guess. But they sure as hell saw through everything else right quick!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I just did this a few weeks ago on my donor truck. I used the Diablo Steel Demon carbide tipped blades in my sawzall. Make sure you spray them with plenty of oil to help keep it cool and lubricated.

I'd also recommend getting a 4-1/2" angle grinder and some good cutting discs from harbor freight. It's only about $25 for the angle grinder and $10 for a set of 10 disks

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@fast68chevy,

I had a problem removing the 3/4" bolts on my traction bars last year. They were rusted solid in the bushing sleeve. I cut the head of the bolt off first then when I couldn't push it out by hitting the bolt with a 1/2" punch I had to saw the end of the bolt off just behind the nut. The the traction bar just came out of the bracket anyway and I delt with what was left in the bushings, just fell out by itself. That option is always there where you just start cutting the bolt away until the leaf falls out of the bracket.
NO FIRE! One slip and there goes a hanger, then while you're there you might as well wash the rivets off the hanger and bolt another one on. Then you look and something is on fire from sparks that got away. Don't do that. Yeah a torch is much faster and hack sawing a big bolt is hard especially when you're up against the frame on the forward bolt, that's when you wish you had used a torch. Just whatever you use make it clean.

Allan Abley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Nothing like a torch but the fire and sparks is just part of the know how when using them.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Torch, peanut grinder or good die grinder, impact wrench. In that order.
If they’re really 50 years of froze in rust belt goodness, just start with the “Can’t be tight if it’s liquid…” approach and make the project enjoyable!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have encountered a bolt once that my Milwaukee 3/4 impact with a short socket(18mm ) couldn’t even budge the pad WITH the huge ass battery for the chainsaw

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
This was defeated by a gm subframe bolt but those are closer to the ground and also vertical and have a bushing surrounding and they held water and debris in.

I’ve never met a bolt I couldn’t overcome with a full battery

You must be registered for see images attach

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

You saw that little thing on line to? I laughed until I couldn't breath!! Yeah, "You can't be tight if you're liquid!!". I liked the "I warned You!" And it's a big breaker bar. I made several copies of that and sent them to some friends I knew would appreciate that thing. I don't know where mine is, if you can find yours, post it. I think some may get a laugh out of it.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
If you could find an induction heat tool for a reasonable price (or someone that has one) that would be the way to go. Draper Tools makes one but it's $900+.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

I have that picture in my shop right over the work bench..."I warned you!" And then mine to: "Can't be tight if it's liquid." I swear I laughed so hard! And every time I'd think of it I would start laughing so hard I was tearing down my face. Working on tractor trailers for three and a half years in a repair shop I know what it means...."I warned you!", and then get the torch out!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Grit dog,

I have that picture in my shop right over the work bench..."I warned you!" And then mine to: "Can't be tight if it's liquid." I swear I laughed so hard! And every time I'd think of it I would start laughing so hard I was tearing down my face. Working on tractor trailers for three and a half years in a repair shop I know what it means...."I warned you!", and then get the torch out!

Thats funny. True but funny!
I saw that on some meme recently, but we used to say that back in the day. Someone say it’s too tight can’t get it loose.
“Go get the blue wrench. Can’t be tight if it’s liquid!”

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thats funny. True but funny!
I saw that on some meme recently, but we used to say that back in the day. Someone say it’s too tight can’t get it loose.
“Go get the blue wrench. Can’t be tight if it’s liquid!”

I posted it in 'funny stuff from the internet' recently... Maybe your saw it there?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes