Remote mounting battery. Wiring questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I'm relocating my battery to roughly the rear seat of my '86 K5 as part of the rewire during my LS swap. My plan is to keep all of my connections in the engine bay, so I'm going to mount a main power bus bar and a secondary fuse block for accessories and such. I think I need to run a power and a ground to bus bars in the engine compartment and a dedicated power wire to the starter. I've got things mapped out and planned, but the supply side is where I run out of know-how.

Question 1: How many amps do I need to plan for to power the main bus block?

Question 2: How many amps do I need to plan for to power the starter?

Question 3: Do I need to fuse the wire to the power bus bar? I am going to fuse all of my power outs, but I thought maybe a re-settable breaker before the block as a redundant safety?

Question 4: I have a box built for the battery, but I want to make my battery cables QD, so pulling my battery is just a mount and a plug. Probably using forklift style plugs. If someone has a better option I'd love to hear it, a bulkhead style plug would be great so I can seal up the box since it's hanging under the floor.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
You can’t go wrong with overkill when it comes to battery cables. Whatever size the factory used, go one size bigger. I’d use a ford starter solenoid mounted as close to the battery as possible to ensure the battery cable is powered only during cranking. Use a fuse one or 2 sizes larger than whatever your alternator is capable of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019