Rear wheel studs-C2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Good Morning, or afternoon, wherever you are. I have an 84 GMC Sierra C2500 base model, and I need to replace the 16 studs in the rear axles due to them being slightly stripped(Very hard to remove and install). Anyways, my question is do I need to remove the axles to replace them? If so, no biggie as I have a slight gasket leak in the cover so will replace that and the gear oil at the same time. Thanks for any help and/or tips

MarineOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
No need to remove axle and just beat them out with hammer (air hammer is safer) and to reinstall use a lug nust with 2 thick washers to draw the stud back in square. A dab of wd40 on the washers help reduce friction. It also will dry out causing no issues with studs.

May I also suggest running thread chaser on current studs. Not a die but a chaser

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No need to remove axle and just beat them out with hammer (air hammer is safer) and to reinstall use a lug nust with 2 thick washers to draw the stud back in square. A dab of wd40 on the washers help reduce friction. It also will dry out causing no issues with studs.

May I also suggest running thread chaser on current studs. Not a die but a chaser
And then, as anyone from the rust belt should recommend, put a little antiseize on the new lugs to keep ‘em all happy and yourself happy the next time you need to pull the wheels off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1