Rear sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
This is awesome, I've been wanting to put a rear bar on the burb for years now
My gmt400 burb had one stock and i removed it when i put the block lift in the back because the end links wouldnt reach...

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
My gmt400 burb had one stock and i removed it when i put the block lift in the back because the end links wouldnt reach...

Did you notice a difference without it? I feel like mine would just be so much more stable with one. Especially with the lift springs. I'm not out there trying to race the damn thing I know it's a big heavy truck, but I do have a lead foot and hate having to slow to a crawl around turns. Anything to help it feel less sketchy, even just a little, would be terrific.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Did you notice a difference without it? I feel like mine would just be so much more stable with one. Especially with the lift springs. I'm not out there trying to race the damn thing I know it's a big heavy truck, but I do have a lead foot and hate having to slow to a crawl around turns. Anything to help it feel less sketchy, even just a little, would be terrific.
Honestly no i really didnt. But that may just be because i didnt give it much thought. I put 3" blocks under the leaves and cranked the tortions and popped on 33s and ran it. I was younger and stupider though so... It is still that way to this day but since the motor blew its been parked a year or.... 3.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

End links are available in many lengths. Heck, if you have the bushings you can fab up your own with all-thread rod, fender washers, and lock nuts. On the ones I made, I slipped a piece of galvanized steel tubing over the center section of all-thread for added rigidity.

You must be registered for see images attach

Did you notice a difference without it?

In my case it made a big difference in stability after I added the bar. The combination of 4" lift and carrying 300 lbs. in the roof basket made my Suburban really sketchy going around sweeping turns on mountain roads. There have been a couple of times that I think it really saved me while steering to avoid obstacles in the road.

Last edited:

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Mine is a truck with less weight in the back most of the time, and I could definitely notice a difference, especially with the well worn rear springs.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone know off hand what the original front bar's diameter is? I can mic mine tomorrow if need be.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

Maybe your springs, or body mounts are tired. What width tire are you running?

I take an S turn down the road at 60. I dont have a bar at all. I get a tad bit of body roll, but really not bad. I run 37x13.5, and some 37x12.5.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Maybe your springs, or body mounts are tired. What width tire are you running?

I take an S turn down the road at 60. I dont have a bar at all. I get a tad bit of body roll, but really not bad. I run 37x13.5, and some 37x12.5.
My springs are only 3-4 years old, been that way since I first put them on. I'm running 33x12.5 15s. At the time I installed them I had 31x10.5 15s. No noticeable difference

Also body mounts are in terrific shape. It was originally from Colorado, cleanest damn truck I've ever seen in New England, frame is still factory black. After 5 years or so the heads of the bolts for the brackets that hold the brake lines and fuel filter to the frame have a little surface rust...

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just ordered this Addco #202 rear sway bar from Summit Racing. They matched another vendor's price of $151. That's less than half as much as the Hellwig I was considering. Best I can tell, the main difference is the Hellwig has 3 end link mounting holes at the bar ends to allow for tension adjustment. My truck already has a front bar from Western Chassis. Will report back on the Addco's fit and performance.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=addco 202

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I has a 1ton rear bar in the bedroom.
It seems like such an abortion of a project that I don't mind continuing to put it off. Luckily I no has nine month time limit!

I put a factory one on a K20 about a year or so ago. Frankly, it was a pain in the ass. It certainly helps, but needed new u bolts, plates, took some grinding, and the axle tubes are a different size than the 10 bolt. Probably best to go with the after market.

See? That idea looks better on paper i'm pretty sure.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
S10 Blazer/Jimmy 2 doors fit perfect! since i have a 7 inch drop in the back i install the bar up side down, and man that change my ride! more stable on pot hole, in curve, and even in accelaration :)

total cost: $17 for the SB and $20 for new 95 S10 front end link! :D

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Rear sway bar for our square not many option! Belltech got one model but a bit expensive!

any idies of witch one i can fit from other GM model or other (Dodge,Ford ect...) thx again for your help! :)
I just found that the rear sway bar from a 98 s10 blazer will workwith my 10 bolt rear and line up to the frame. Id just need to drill holes in the frame and figure out what end links to use.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
S10 Blazer/Jimmy 2 doors fit perfect! since i have a 7 inch drop in the back i install the bar up side down, and man that change my ride! more stable on pot hole, in curve, and even in accelaration :)

total cost: $17 for the SB and $20 for new 95 S10 front end link! :D

What endlinks did you use

EDIT!!! i just reread and realize you said what you used.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
For me...over $100 for a rear sway bar kit is over price..it a simple technique to fit one...and so cheap to find in the junckyard....but its just my opinion! ;)
That is true! I snagged one from work for roughly $10. Im stoaked!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k