Rear driveline removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think i need a new u-joint. any tips/tricks for removing the driveshaft?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418604727647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418604727647.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 274

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unbolt the one end and slip the other end out. Make sure there is a bucket to catch the fluid that will be lost.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
it is just make sure u have the transmission in park so they driveshaft doesn't turn

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So, it sounds pretty easy.

Yup. You'll have 2 straps on the rear end side of things held on with 4 bolts.

Changing those ujoints will be a big job tho unless you take it to a shop lol.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You know I have installed my drive shaft every way possible and I have never got vibrations from it going back in different then it came out.

If you think about it the drive shaft is removed and put on a balancing machine and balanced and then reinstalled into the vehicle. So why would it matter where the transmission or differential yoke is clocked to when reinstalling said drive shaft ? The transmission and rear end are not removed and placed on the balancing machine lol

I would definitely chock your wheels though lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You know I have installed my drive shaft every way possible and I have never got vibrations from it going back in different then it came out.

If you think about it the drive shaft is removed and put on a balancing machine and balanced and then reinstalled into the vehicle. So why would it matter where the transmission or differential yoke is clocked to when reinstalling said drive shaft ? The transmission and rear end are not removed and placed on the balancing machine lol

I would definitely chock your wheels though lol

He speaks the truth. I spent 8 years in a dealership in a professional environment, and 14 before that in amateur status, and I've never had an issue with vibrations after the fact. I understand the reasoning behind marking stuff ahead of time, but realistically, it's rarely done.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I will mark my drive shaft, just to be consistent. And wheels are always chocked when i work on the truck. I also use jack stands any time the vehicle is raised of the ground. I've got a lot to live for. ;)

I have been looking at a few websites (napa, O'Reilly, AutoZone) and they all show couple different sizes that are available for the rear shaft u joint at the transfer case. Are there any numbers on the shaft or the existing joint that will identify which size i currently have? I wanted to have the parts in hand when i pull the driveshaft to replace the parts.

If i have to measure, where/how are the measurements taken?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
its basically determined by what rear end you have. Although I believe the 10 and 12 bolts are the same and the 14Sf and 14 FF are the same.

Napa does how ever sell higher quality u joints then the competition. IMO I have tried all the other HD Joints and I am willing to even pay a couple more $ to run the Napa ones.

This is not because I like Napa, I actually dislike Napa, They are only good for U Joints and Oil Filters. Every thing else is just way over priced !

Napa should be able to find the right ones for the year, make and model(1/2 vs 3/4ton) They always give me the correct ones

Oh and go for the greasable ones. The ones with the nipples slightly offset to one side at an angle are best as you will be able to grease them with out having to remove the U Joint straps from the rear differential yoke. If you install them in the right direction lol. The ones that come straight out you have to remove the straps to grease them PITA!

Last edited:

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there anyway to determine from the picture whether this one has internal or external snap rings?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418675549682.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418675549682.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 242

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It looks to me like they are stock as in you need to heat up the yokes to extrude the plastic retainers out of the little holes on either side of each cap.

They should accept the inner style c clip.

Those are definitely not outer style so unless you can find c clips(snap ring) on the inside of each cap, then you will have to heat them up.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Simply remove your drive shaft and use a torch to heat up the part of the yoke that surrounds each cap until plastic oozes out of the little hole. should take about 5 min of heat to do this on each cap.

Once the plastic has oozed out then press out the u joint with a vise or c clamp and some sockets.

Then reinstall new joints in the same manner making sure that no needle bearings fall out of place when installing the cap

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
A quick way to remove u joints is to place the yoke ears on top of an open vice or a couple blocks of wood and then gently tap the drive shaft yoke down with a hammer. The u joint will slide to the one side, simply remove the shaft from the u joint and then repeat the process to remove the joint from the yoke

You can install joints in the same manner if you are careful not to damage any thing

This is how I do it and it takes about 5 min per joint to remove and install.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rather than quoting all the posts in this thread, MadOgre is pretty much spot on with everything.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Excellent!

So, I found a stamped number "522" on the broken joint. All i could find with that number online was Moog. But, I cannot find any measurements. Anyone know where to get the measurement specs for this or a cross reference to another brand?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehernandez