Rear disc brake conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79 red sled

Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 1979 k10 and I’m thinking about converting to disc’s on the back. I’m looking for recommendations on which disc brake conversion kit I should use. What works best and is somewhat eats to install.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I haven't done this myself....yet, but I believe others on here have found aftermarket caliper brackets for the rear axle housing, that allow you to bolt on the same calipers that work on the front. So you would have 2 left, and 2 right, front calipers and rotors. I'm sure there is more to it than that though.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
E brake is the main consideration. Other than that, many kits will do the job.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
If your state mandates a parking/emergency brake (Texas does) this will drive the cost up. I haven't found one for under $500 and I just won't spend that kind of money for something I don't need.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I used rear calipers from a ‘78 Cadillac Eldorado. They can use your cable e-brake setup. It took me a couple of adjustments until they’d hold okay, but by themselves probably wouldn’t hold the truck on a boat ramp with a boat tugging on it. Honestly, I never really tested them much, but they’d pass a visual inspection. Not sure what they do for states that test parking brakes.

I pulled the cables when I redid some stuff on my truck and haven’t replaced them with new ones yet. Park in my auto holds it fine, but the thought still crosses my mind whenever I park somewhere steep. I have some harbor freight wheel chocks in my tool box if need be.

I see your truck is a k10, but I know for 205 equipped trucks there are cable actuated driveline disc parking brakes. With a SYE on any TC, I’m sure one could be adapted.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
True, the kit or workaround I mentioned above doesn't include an e-brake, and I don't think those states that require an e-brake, allow line locks as a substitute either. To me, if it's an automatic trans, the need for an e-brake is almost never needed. Except for parking on an extreme incline, or dropping a boat off at the ramp. LOL.

To me, having the greatly improved braking power / capacity, especially for towing (like I will need) then it's "needed". That, and I like to drive a bit spirited. :driver:

79 red sled

Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’m doing a complete rebuild on the truck and when I dropped the rear axles I noticed that the backing plate was in bad shape. I was wondering if I should just replace the backing plate or just convert to disc. I guess I have to figure out how much money I want to spend

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
If you're keeping it 6 lug just go buy another axle. 6 lugs are cheap and a dime a dozen. Maybe not in Hawaii though :cool: 8 lug I would rebuild it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb