Rear Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Serge627

Reaction score
First Name
Ol Man
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Gents

When I bought the truck the guy I got it from told me that occasionally the rear left brake would stick when first starting to move. He mentioned that he thought this was because the brake shoes may have been put on incorrectly, meaning the one that goes in the front in the back and vice versa. After having the truck for a couple of weeks, I know he has no idea what he was talking about with much of anything on this truck...that being said, I have yet to pull the wheel and look at the brakes (been messing with other stuff first)

So here is what the truck does. When initially starting from park, the truck pulls its back left tire, like the brake is frozen. Once it brakes loose it will not have the issue again until it has been parked for some time. Any ideas? Just looking for some things to have in mind when I pull it apart and try to fix this one.

Thanks!

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Well, he kinda knew what he was talking about. There's a long shoe and short, and the long always goes to the back. There's also a left and right adjuster, get them mixed up and your adjuster will get tighter every time you hit the brakes. But as far as your problem first thing I would do is a visual inspection. Take both drums off and compare them. Make sure the long shoe is on the back. Then just make sure all your springs, levers and brackets are where they're supposed to be.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Pull a drum off and take a look under there, maybe throw up some pics.

Serge627

Reaction score
First Name
Ol Man
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys, when i get a bit of free time this week i will pull it apart and grab some pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT