Rear axle: Welding on saddles at proper angle (due to lowering kit)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ok, I see what you are saying, makes sense. I have the truck sitting on blocks right now, with tire pressures the same. No other weight on the suspension besides misc. stuff in the box, so the truck is sitting at it's normal ride height right now.
I'd maybe try setting the angle with the absolut most drop on the suspension you are likely to see, just to make sure that it wont be too crazy. If your operating angles come out to be 3 degrees or less where you are sitting now, you'll likely be fine though. I would maybe set the pinion a half to 1 degree lower in the front than you need it, just so that when the pinion rolls up under load it is perfect. Or are you going to a 4-link? If leaf springs give some wiggle to account for spring flex under load, if 4-link then it can be dead on because you shouldn't get any rotation of the axle at all under load with a 4-link.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I'd maybe try setting the angle with the absolut most drop on the suspension you are likely to see, just to make sure that it wont be too crazy. If your operating angles come out to be 3 degrees or less where you are sitting now, you'll likely be fine though. I would maybe set the pinion a half to 1 degree lower in the front than you need it, just so that when the pinion rolls up under load it is perfect. Or are you going to a 4-link? If leaf springs give some wiggle to account for spring flex under load, if 4-link then it can be dead on because you shouldn't get any rotation of the axle at all under load with a 4-link.

It is leaf springs, brand new ones in fact. Not exactly sure how I could get it to squat, I have a feeling unless I put some extreme trailer to this thing it is not going to move much at all.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It is leaf springs, brand new ones in fact. Not exactly sure how I could get it to squat, I have a feeling unless I put some extreme trailer to this thing it is not going to move much at all.

I'd maybe go get 10 bags of quickcrete for about $30 and put it in the bed. That would tell you how much squat you will get from a loaded trailer hooked up. The bigger thing will be giving it the degree or so to account for the axle wrap under load, especially with the torque from that 455.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Are you planning on hauling with this truck? My setup was different, it has blocks to correct pinion angle that just go under the axle and rest on the original spring perches. I'll look to see if I have any pictures but I think I may have ended up with that setup because I have a Dana 70.

As an FYI, my truck doesn't squat much with a 5000 lb trailer hooked up. I run about 10-15 psi in my airbags just to ensure it won't bottom out but I don't know that it's necessary. It does seem to ride better in general with a little air in the bags.

I was also told by switch suspension that I should install new u-joints so if you have some u-joint bind and your angles are right you may want to try that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes