radiator question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
so i have a leak coming from the underside of my rad on the drivers side. just started over a month ago and the radiator was about an inch low. i just took measurements of what i have and it is 20 5/8" high, 3.5" wide and 35" long. and it has trans cooler ports on pass side that I currently have run in parallel with my trans cooler.

My IMPORTANT QUESTIONS...
1. in looking for a new radiator, some seem to not have trans cooler spots. So, does anybody run just a trans cooler and use radiator just for engine? or am I so much better off finding another radiator with trans hookups?

2, size and material of radiator. i'm looking at LMC's radiators and none of them are the size i have.. there is only 1 that is 20 5/8 the rest are 17 or 19 inch which seems too small and id like a perfect fit anyways. my engine seems like it could use a bigger radiator actually, temp is 185 when driving normal and goes up to 195 or 200 when going up long steep hills.

let me know what you guys think i should get. there is this also just 50 miles away from me

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/3138933297.html

and this prob 5 min away and waiting for them to call back
http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/pts/3129230659.html

or do I try to get it welded, is that a good fix? i need to totally pull it huh so i can actually see whats going on.

ooh this is nearby http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/3135593077.html

Last edited:

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
you should run your trans fluid thru the rad cooler, as far as the measurements they only measure the core itself not the tanks

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can't remember exactly how I ran mine, I think through the rad cooler and them through the external cooler...I'd take your radiator to a good rad shop and ask them is there
Something bigger that's also good quality. If not just have them weld it up, should
Cost about 10 bucks and it's a good fix. They'll clean it out while it's there

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok update guys! got the radiator out. i can see a small crack in the joint underneath the radiator. but the liquid feels like trans fluid. but when it was leaking it def looked green. if it is a trans fluid leak do you think its repairable? unless its internal and leaking into the coolant which then it got cracked and now thats the leak i see. the only local radiator repair shop in my town just stopped repairing them i , lame any direction? anyone got an extra radiator like 35x20 5/8 x 3.5 with trans cooler.. :)

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Trans fluid is always pink, and if you had an internal trans cooler leak, the coolant would be milky and goopy.

What you've got is a tank seam that's either cracked or has come unsoldered. Simply take the radiator to a quality radiator shop and have it rebuilt. This will include them removing both tanks, and rodding out the tubes to get all the corrosion out of them.

This is a quality built copper core w/ brass tanks radiator, and you want to save it if possible.

I just went through the process of trying to find a nice (new) radiator to replace my non-rebuildable copper/brass one. I found nothing but China junk available and finally went with a nice used big block radiator that was the same size as mine, just 3" deep, instead of 1-5/8" deep. No regrets.

I was not impressed with the aluminum w/ plastic tank radiators. The plastic wasn't the grayish fiber impregnated stuff you see on the OEM GM radiators in the late model trucks. It was shiny "toy" plastic. All I could think of was, "Watch this sh!t grenade when I'm towing the camper up some 7,500' pass in 90*F temps.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i decided to get a champion aluminum radiator. for 209 + shipping all alluminum construction with brass petcock etc.. all quality made in usa!!

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
That's what I was going to do and literally had a call in to Griffin Radiators and was waiting to hear back from them when I called one last local place, and the guy just happened to have a BB radiator sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Keep your other radiator in a safe place. IMO, it's worth hanging on to, and even having rebuilt and storing.

Report back on the quality and fit of the Champion, and whether you notice an improvement in cooling system function in hot weather, towing, etc.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok. champion radiator is in the truck.

http://www.championradiators.com/page/400669594 unit cc716

Truck differences.
-temp rises faster on warmup
-temp stays perfectly at 185 during driving, idling, and mild hills
-when i shut the truck off, it used to jump from 185 to 220, now it goes from 185 to 200 (soo awesome)

the radiator is supposed to be a fit for our trucks but I had to shim the bottom about 3/4 of an inch to be able to snug it in place with the top brace plate.

all in all, im very happy with the radiator and now am looking into zinc anodes for petcock holes. I have good grounds on my truck but it would hurt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had to shim up my Champion radiator too. Also, the company is based in the USA, but they are made overseas.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
but they are made overseas.

You always have to rain on the parade don'tcha?? WTF !!! Some things are better left unsaid. I'da bought one til you said that. Now, I'll just get my old one rebuilt. New core and reweld the tanks on. But, I do have a spare BB OEM radiator that I got from that kid in the Burban I got the lockers out of, along with the dual electric fans. He didn't have any cooling issues either and didn't have a fan clutch fan at all. Just the dual E fan.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You always have to rain on the parade don'tcha?? WTF !!! Some things are better left unsaid. I'da bought one til you said that. Now, I'll just get my old one rebuilt. New core and reweld the tanks on. But, I do have a spare BB OEM radiator that I got from that kid in the Burban I got the lockers out of, along with the dual electric fans. He didn't have any cooling issues either and didn't have a fan clutch fan at all. Just the dual E fan.

Lol, I could have said more but I didn't. Hopefully I just got a bad one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lol, I could have said more but I didn't. Hopefully I just got a bad one.

:rofl: Oh yeah, I think you told that story in another thread. :birgits_tiredcoffee

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
That's why I was moving toward the Griffin. It was the only one I could find that was made in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef