radiator cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I'm ordering a new radiator cap for my 1983 c20 with 350 v8. All the ones I find online are like 14,15,16 psi. I think my old one is 7 psi?
Which one should I order?
I'm also doing thermostat. Should I do upper and lower rad hoses too?
I'll be flushing the coolant as well probably.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Which one should I order?

The stock cooling system for your truck uses a 15 psi radiator cap. Get that one.

I'm also doing thermostat. Should I do upper and lower rad hoses too?

Depends on the age/condition of your current hoses. FWIW - I have not seen a blown radiator hose in like forever. If your hoses are OEM: I would inspect them and if they look okay - keep them.

Hint: The original GM - lower - hose has an internal spring (it is designed to prevent the hose from collapsing under negative pressure conditions). If it is still installed, and you decide to replace the hoses, pull it out and insert it into the new hose.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What about this? It's the same one I ordered for my Yukon a while back and it works well.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-RC27-...4--8-2-141--6-0&sr=1-2&ymm=1983:chevrolet:c20

The hoses didn't leak when I ran it for a while so I will give them a more thorough inspection and only replace them if there is a problem. The less I pre-emptively replace the better since I don't really have any money...

Thank you!

As long as GM didn't change the radiator fill neck, that should be ok. Some manufacturers change stuff like that every now and again. Since it's an AC Delco part, you should be able to cross reference the number to see what it will fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68