radiant tube heater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys so i rent a shop in my area that that is basicly a 4 car garage that has a wooden beam cealing because there is tractors above me in storage. Cinder block walls except for the rear wall that divides me from the other guy who rents the same size space, that is a plywood 2x4 supported wall that is insulated.

It is not the most insulated place but i pay $40 a month and it works great.

The owner of the property maybe giving me a 12 ft long radiant tube heater that runs off or propane that we can hang in the one corrnor of the shop.

I do not have a super tall ceilings so we would put it in the one corrnor that we dont use much.

Do anyone of you guys use this style of heater?? just want some stories and advice on this possible set up.

I currently use a garage can heater that runs off of propane it sounds like a jet engine and makes me dizzy when its on too long, with ventilation..

thanks

Liam

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Only experience i have had with them is in Ice Hockey Rinks and indoor dirt bike tracks. As far as i know, they put off some major heat in ''directional'' manner.....anything directly under with a low ceiling...I could see getting extremely hot, melted, ruined, etc...

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
a torpedo heater or a convection kerosene heater would be all right if you can put up with some smell, the radiant tube heaters can ruin painted surfaces if left on to long.

thaddybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Thad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have had them in garages and they work great. My buddies all have them in their shops and have no problems. Most use them only to heat up vehicles or whatever when they pull in from the cold. They all have corn or pellet stoves as well now.

The shops we have at work all have them as well. Older units but they work good as well.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ten foot ceilings in My garage and I figured one of those woiuld be way more than enough for this 28x28 insulatated building,got it all hung in,now remember they will hang a bit lower than the ten foot ceiling,well,needless to say that when that critter was on and going it would cause Me to duck because of the heat atop My bald head.
I left the hood open on the pickup and when I came out from the house I was surprised it had`nt started to bliuster the paint,so,I closed the hood,come out the next morning to go to work and I was surprised it had`nt blistered the paint.LOL
I sold that unit and got a garage furnace for five buxks ffrom a rubbage sale,it`s a,I think,thirty thousand BTU and on the coldest of mantana days it keeps this shed comfy.
I I had a building with twenty foot ceilings I would again go scrounging for a new radiant tube heater.
If You have lectricity in that building then I woiuld be checking CL or classifieds and find a ceiling furnace before I would install one of those.
One nice thing about them radiant tube heaters is they use outside air for combustion so not much danger in having a xplosion from gas/paint fumes.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn: