R4 to Sanden whith stock ac lines(for serpantine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
I've been researching various threads on here and digesting this one in particular as I'm debating replacing my original Harrison, but leaking (out the back, not front shaft strangely), R4 compressor with a new AC Delco R4...OR biting the bullet and converting to the Sanden unit mentioned at the beginning of the thread. I'm almost convinced on the Sanden route but having a little bit of trouble finding the brackets mentioned earlier. Is there a link or part number that can be referenced for this? I want to make sure I use the correct bracket that doesn't need to modified to make it work with the Sanden compressor Viktor used.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm looking for the correct bracket for a Sanden conversion that has the compressor on the passenger side/serpentine belt.

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I've been researching various threads on here and digesting this one in particular as I'm debating replacing my original Harrison, but leaking (out the back, not front shaft strangely), R4 compressor with a new AC Delco R4...OR biting the bullet and converting to the Sanden unit mentioned at the beginning of the thread. I'm almost convinced on the Sanden route but having a little bit of trouble finding the brackets mentioned earlier. Is there a link or part number that can be referenced for this? I want to make sure I use the correct bracket that doesn't need to modified to make it work with the Sanden compressor Viktor used.

Edit: I should clarify that I'm looking for the correct bracket for a Sanden conversion that has the compressor on the passenger side/serpentine belt.
I used this one. https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/mobile_product_info.php?products_id=1622

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
The one from dirty Dingo looks like the one I made. My dimensions for the brackets are on post 5

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
Thank you both. That's much more inexpensive than some of the Vintage Air mounts I was combing through (although those were more geared towards a LS crate engine). I wish I had a way to cut/fabricate the mounts with the drawings, but unfortunately don't have the tools to do so.

One follow up question - I noticed the compressor you used Vitkor was a Sanden 4864 with the rear ports. The Dirty Dingo brackets reference a Sanden 4711 compressor. I'm assuming they have the same bolt flange for mounting, but the difference is where the ports are located (i.e. rear vs. top)? I'd like the reuse the factory hose assembly since it was just replaced, which makes the 4864 the appealing choice.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Both part numbers are SD7 and mount same. The rear head is the main difference. Two links for reference below.

Last edited:

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
Both part numbers are SD7 and mount same. The rear head is the main difference. Two links for reference below.

Thank you!

The 91 Burb I have was bought new in 91 by my parents, but over the last 1.5 years I've been trying to preserve it as much as I can. However, the NC summers have pushed me to consider deviating from original when it comes to AC. The Sanden route is very appealing for creature comforts

c5killer

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Gen III 6.0L org. 5.7 TBI
Here is my R4 to Sanden 4864 conversion.

You will notice my burb has been LS swapped. I had the ICT billet R4 bracket. Instead of buying a brand new bracket for the Sanden unit, I elected to buy the Dirty Dingo conversion kit. Of course I had to tweak some of the spacers for the rear mounts, but no biggie. I used the spacers from the ICT kit. According to Dirty Dingo, It should ride in the middle of the 8 grove pulley. They also said i will need a 1" OD larger belt (on order). I know the high line looks tight. I plan on adjusting the metal portions to give it a little more relief. I still need to wire in the connector, charge the system, get my vacuum lines sorted out and I should have A/C!! I will update when complete.

I have to give a shout-out to this forum and yevgenievich for all the information he listed in this post!! Links for the parts I use are listed below;

Sanden 4864 - https://www.autoaironline.com/ac-parts/sanden-4864-compressor-1940

#8 High side discharge port - https://coldhose.com/products/8-high-side-inline-discharge-port-r-134a-16mm?variant=35531745427616

Dirty Dingo R4 to Sanden kit - https://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1622

Attachments

• 20230804_194836.jpg
    20230804_194836.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk