Questions about a supercharger install on my 81 K20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggyniner

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hi all new poster here.

My father gave me his 1981 K20 which he bought brand new. It has 75k original miles and for all intents and purposes is in perfect running order. The engine is all original and in great shape, the only aftermarket things done to the truck are wheels and tires and the addition of dual exhaust (flowmasters).

I am not entirely sure what if it is the LS9 or LT9 V8, it does have the heavy duty 350 engine VIN code of 'M.' Regardless, the low HP output of the 350 in these years makes me sad.

I was toying with the idea of adding a slightly more aggressive cam, vortec heads, headers, intake manifold and a timing advance to try and pull some more power out of her. One of the mechanics I work with mentioned that I should through a low profile superchager on it instead, and just be done. I was curious what you guys thought about that and what red flags I need to look out for as I have no supercharger experience. Any recommendations are welcome too, where I live they still do a sniff test so I can't get too crazy, but I would like to get around 300HP out of her if I can.

Thanks! :cheers:

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
If you go with a nice , (quench) , motor build with vortec's and a cam with all the bolt on's you are there easy with no huffer , save some money for other things for your truck.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't, but i'm honery.

There is not much cooler that a roots blower.

You can have the HP increase you want in a bolt on kit. That is way more preferable than dickin with it trying to chase down junkyard parts , mixing and matching headaches. If I had the opportunity to bolt on that much cool, I sure as hell would. I think its likely the cheaper option and will reward much quicker e.t.s with less downtime to get behind the wheel.
Plus your dad would dig the **** out of it.

All you need is a little 144 or 142...

Last edited:

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now