Question: Will they match up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutch998

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 1984 Chevy halfton with a 305 and th350 transmission. Its 4wd and I'm assuming its a np208 tcase? I'm looking to buy a 86' one ton thats got a 454 and 4 speed manual. The problem is its 2wd. SO... How would I convert the c30 to 4wd? Will the np208 bolt up? Also would I be able to just swap the front axles? And how bout the driveshafts? Would the rear ones swap out or would they not hold up behind the 454? I'm new to swaps so any advice is much needed. I also know that the np205 is the best, however I'd like to work with what I got, as well as the np208 has a better LO gear. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Although it's very easy to mix and match parts on these trucks, you basically have two completely opposite trucks and mixing the two to get 4wd C30 really isn't possible. About all you could use is your front spring hangers.

Unless you were willing to run the th350 in the C30 and do the conversion. But going that route doesn't make much sense either unless you are hell bent on using the stronger frame. It would be much simpler to just stick the 454 in your K10.

Hutch998

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well my main goal here is to have a square body with a 454, manual and 4wd. I'm not necessarily interested in restoring the c30, unless of coarse it's easier to put 4wd in than do an engine(small block to big block), and transmission (auto to manual) swap. But with what I've been told on another forum, the np208 wouldn't directly bolt up to the 4 speed manual anyway. So I'm at a loss with what to do. I like the idea of having two projects, however being reasonable I know this is going to cost a fortune no matter what route I take. If I were to leave the 84' alone, and just add 4wd to the c30, what all would I need? (other than tcase, drive shafts, and new front axle) The more I research the more I'm siding with not putting the 454 in the k10. I read that a th350 behind a built 454 will fold like a lawn chair.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A big block will go right in place of a small block. Just minor things to deal with like a fan shroud, but electric fans are a good upgrade anyway. A TH350 can live behind a 454, but if you build the motor up, build the trans a bit too. The trans will be cheap in comparison to the motor.

If the C30 is only useful as a parts truck, rob it of it's clutch and pedal parts, as well as the rear suspension and axle. Get a 4x4 version of the SM465 and a t-case with it (easy to find usually). Then put it all under your K10 and convert your front axle to 8-lug. Gears will need swapped to match the rear unless they are already the same.

Hutch998

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well I don't want to put the rear axle in the half ton due to it being a dually. Also as far as I know, this truck might be in excellent condition. It only has 60k miles on it. If I did a 4wd conversion to the c30, would I want to swap dual rear wheels for singles? Or do the duals hold their own in the snow/mud (4+ inches of snow commonly)

Also, what parts would I want to use in the swap? What axles would I want that I could pick up cheap? I'm not sure if the duals are staying either, I'm still debating it. I'm also assuming that the np205 is a must..

Last question for the time being, but the truck is a 4 speed manual, no overdrive, so what type of transmission is in it? I would take a guess and say the muncie sm465? And if it is, would a np205 bolt up to it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A 205 is not a must. Yes it's an SM465, and being a 2wd version, no t-case will bolt to it.

Sounds like you need to leave your K10 alone and convert the C30. You would buy used parts for the conversion (trans/t-case/front axle/spring hangers/etc) or find a K20 or K30 parts truck with an SM465.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The dual rear wheels really won't be an advantage off road either. The more wheels you have, the less contact pressure you'll have per tire. It may not be as detrimental off-road, but on ice and snow it'll suck unless it's got a lot of weight in the bed.

Hutch998

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well I've done some research, and it seems like the 2wd Muncie is workable, with all of the parts from a 4wd version. So as far as that goes its useless to me in the swap. If this truck isn't all rusted out, is it worth it? Like I said its a $700 truck with a 454, 4 speed, duals, and a utility box. I can already tell this isn't a gem, but in the end would I be better off (money and knuckle bleeding wise) to just take all usable parts off this (engine, body parts) and sell the rest of it? Then find an sm465 4wd and put the combo in my k10? Everyone I've asked said not to do a auto to manual conversion, but it does seem pretty straight forward? To add, what would be better for the racing AND mudding combo I'm looking for- a sm465 or NV4500? My dads 94 sierra has a 4500 and for the most part its great for offroading and somewhat speed. The sm465, from what I've read is geared like a tractor, but could pull anything.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
An auto to manual swap is a hell of a lot easier than a 2wd to 4x4 swap. Bangin gears ain't going to happen with an SM465 either.

Hutch998

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well my new theory on this is to get this truck for the engine and body parts, and find a NV4500 and t case to throw into my k10. That would be a good fit I'm guessing? My question is what would I need to do to fit the nv4500 to the 454? And would I be able to use peddle assembly, slave cyl, etc on the k10 from the c30's 465 set up? I know the 4500 isn't the fastest transmission either but its a happy medium between fast shift and torque. Logically speaking this isn't going to be strictly a mud/drag truck, so for all intended purposes it doesn't need to be the best of the best. I'd just like to get respectable power and speed out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody