quadrajet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
hey fellas, my quadrajet needs to be rebuilt. any of you guys ever rebuilt one and if so what's the best rebuild kit, and how hard is it to rebuild one.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hey fellas, my quadrajet needs to be rebuilt. any of you guys ever rebuilt one and if so what's the best rebuild kit, and how hard is it to rebuild one.

That was one of my options but wasn't sure on the whole process. I decided to just buy a rebuilt one.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I rebuilt mine a couple years ago, it worked about as good as my Carter AFB I put on.

I would give it a shot, if you eff it up you can always order a re manufactured one like alot of these guys have been getting. First off, the kit that Autozone sells (cant remember the brand) is the best I found from big box stores, whatever you do dont get the one from Orleys!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The best thing you can do first off is have oilite bronze bushings installed in the throttle shaft bores. A machine shop can do it for around $35.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
I rebuilt mine a couple years ago, it worked about as good as my Carter AFB I put on.

I would give it a shot, if you eff it up you can always order a re manufactured one like alot of these guys have been getting. First off, the kit that Autozone sells (cant remember the brand) is the best I found from big box stores, whatever you do dont get the one from Orleys!

Gp sorenson I work there so I get a good discount on it

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
ok i am going to attempt to rebuild this thing everyone keeps telling me it's one of the easiest carbs to rebuild. we will see....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
First off, whoever is telling you its the easiest, they are full of **** !!! :poop: Not scaring you off though. It can be done, and it's not complicated. Biggest advice I'd give, is be sure to lay it out in a way you KNOW how the parts came out, and go back in the EXACT same way. I also suggest, take pics with a digital cam in every step that you pull more apart. This way if you fugg up and forget, or your parts layout gets kicked and now you don't know where **** goes, you can refer back to your pics. FYI, Holley is by far the easiest to rebuild. NO, I'm not suggesting getting a Holley. I don't care much for them but will run them. Qjet is the way to go for durability and dependability, Holley is the way to go for racing.

2 Things, Jim mentioned one already. The throttle shaft bushings !!! GET IT DONE or don't waste your time. If the carb has had them done before, then go for it, chances are they are still good bushings in the throttle shaft. This is a common problem on Qjets and usually why people don't rebuild them. The bushings and tool alone are about $60, so if a machine shop can do it for $35, get it done and chances are you're good to go for life. 2nd, the well plugs in the bottom of the carb need to be sealed using epoxy so they don't leak causing a poor idle and waste of fuel. Once you get those 2 items recitified, then you can put a kit in it and it'll be good as new, but not until then.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
sean murphy induction.... Don't mess with it, of you have to ask, it's too complicated for you.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
sean murphy induction.... Don't mess with it, of you have to ask, it's too complicated for you.

i learned a long time ago that the only way you learn anything is by first asking question and second take it apart and a do it. I'm sure that everyone on here has a time in their life that they had to ask some questions like i did, and all i can say is i hope and pray to god that not everyone has the same answer as you do.... and by the way i have yet to find anything in my life that is too complicated for me.

Last edited:

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
First off, whoever is telling you its the easiest, they are full of **** !!! :poop: Not scaring you off though. It can be done, and it's not complicated. Biggest advice I'd give, is be sure to lay it out in a way you KNOW how the parts came out, and go back in the EXACT same way. I also suggest, take pics with a digital cam in every step that you pull more apart. This way if you fugg up and forget, or your parts layout gets kicked and now you don't know where **** goes, you can refer back to your pics. FYI, Holley is by far the easiest to rebuild. NO, I'm not suggesting getting a Holley. I don't care much for them but will run them. Qjet is the way to go for durability and dependability, Holley is the way to go for racing.

2 Things, Jim mentioned one already. The throttle shaft bushings !!! GET IT DONE or don't waste your time. If the carb has had them done before, then go for it, chances are they are still good bushings in the throttle shaft. This is a common problem on Qjets and usually why people don't rebuild them. The bushings and tool alone are about $60, so if a machine shop can do it for $35, get it done and chances are you're good to go for life. 2nd, the well plugs in the bottom of the carb need to be sealed using epoxy so they don't leak causing a poor idle and waste of fuel. Once you get those 2 items recitified, then you can put a kit in it and it'll be good as new, but not until then.
thanks man i took it apart and i did notice that the well plugs are leaking a little what sort of apoxy should i go with? and i already made a called to the machine shop i have to drop it off tomorrow. it was $40 which is close enough to 35 for me lmao by the way i took a picture of everything i did lmao

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
i learned a long time ago that the only way you learn anything is by first asking question and second take it apart and a do it. I'm sure that everyone on here has a time in their life that they had to ask some questions like i did, and all i can say is i hope and pray to god that not everyone has the same answer as you do.... and by the way i have yet to find anything in my life that is too complicated for me.

There is always that chance you might have bought a kit for nothing, but in the spirit of being a do it yourselfer its good to see other people give it a shot before just buying a rebuilt one. My advice to offer is dont mess with the "TPS adjuster screw", it stops the downward travel of the metering rods into the jets. I had no idea what it was so I unscrewed it, that caused alot of immediate problems and took a while to even get it close again.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
There is always that chance you might have bought a kit for nothing, but in the spirit of being a do it yourselfer its good to see other people give it a shot before just buying a rebuilt one. My advice to offer is dont mess with the "TPS adjuster screw", it stops the downward travel of the metering rods into the jets. I had no idea what it was so I unscrewed it, that caused alot of immediate problems and took a while to even get it close again.

ok thanks man i actually didnt unscrew any of thoose things just for the simple fact i didnt know if i should lmao

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You should be able to use any epoxy that is gas and oil resistant. The stuff you will mix 50/50 then stir it up. You get those throttle shaft bushings installed, epoxy those plugs, and put a kit in it with the right float adjustments, it'll be like or actually better than a brand new Qjet, and will give years of good service, until it needs a kit again.

Another tip, they do make kits now that are Ethanol compatible. They cost about $10-$15 more, but I'd do it with what fuel we have these days.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
I had my Q-Jet rebuilt and cant believe the difference from before to now. Mine was leaking around the accalerator pump and from somewhere on the back right side near the vac for the seconderies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet