Quadrajet question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
I'd like to do the set screws. How do I get the old epoxy out?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

You could just wait for them to start leaking again. And then you just have to get some pics and small screw drivers and just pick the epoxy off. The set screw job will probably take you all day to do and maybe more to make sure you get it done just right!

So I would just use it and in the meantime accumulate the pieces you need to fix it properly. The epoxy usually doesn't last more than a year or two depending on what kinda epoxy you use. Because it is just smeared over the surface of the plug. If the plugs were epoxied into the passage they would probably last just like the set screws. But the set screws are a better option then plugs.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size

It depends on what was used. Just like mentioned, use it for a while and see if there are issues.
Most "epoxy" I see on the well plugs will easily peel off. Sometimes, I need to use a pick. I use Marine-Tex and it will stick around much longer than others I have seen.

orrenh

Reaction score
First Name
orren
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I don't know if it would help but I have a Rochester quadrate just came off my 77 c30.
Think it needs a rebuild, used to swallow itself up when given too much gas.
I was going to post it in for sale section for free, but I'm new to here so I can't yet.

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
He said JB weld that's made to resist gas is what he used. I'll give it a shot and see how it does before trying to redo it. Intended to do it today but these 100*+ Temps are brutal for the guy with no shop.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
He said JB weld that's made to resist gas is what he used. I'll give it a shot and see how it does before trying to redo it. Intended to do it today but these 100*+ Temps are brutal for the guy with no shop.

I have tried that stuff before but it wont last. Just for the simple reason that its just simply smeared over the top of the plugs.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
X2^^^

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts