pulling my motor tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just get one of the squish type freeze plugs........ so much simpler than pulling the engine.

You must be registered for see images

ORRR, you could get a freezeplug block heater.

You must be registered for see images attach

These are great. They don't last forever though. Maybe a year or so. But the beauty is, you can get your truck running NOW in about 20 minutes if it's a tough one to get to, 5 minutes if it's an easy one. You may be ready for a motor rebuild by the time you need to replace it again.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Maybe not in Ohio, it's not common to lose a freeze plug, but is So Cali. many times we didn't use Coolant. Didn't need to. Just used water and a pressure cap. Doing that, if you have standard plugs and not brass, it was a bit common to have freeze plugs rust through. I always paid $7 for my BRASS freeze plug kits instad of $3 for a silver freeze plug kit.

You rarely ever hear about it here. But we have to run Anti-Freeze here due to winter. And most of the guys into cars around here all have brassplugs in their blocks to.

These are great. They don't last forever though. Maybe a year or so. But the beauty is, you can get your truck running NOW in about 20 minutes if it's a tough one to get to, 5 minutes if it's an easy one. You may be ready for a motor rebuild by the time you need to replace it again.

Exactly, it a quick fix and its only like 5-7$. And when/if it starts leaking, either tighten it up more, or replace it with another one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe not in Ohio, it's not common to lose a freeze plug, but is So Cali. many times we didn't use Coolant. Didn't need to. Just used water and a pressure cap. Doing that, if you have standard plugs and not brass, it was a bit common to have freeze plugs rust through. I always paid $7 for my BRASS freeze plug kits instad of $3 for a silver freeze plug kit.

But not running coolant is silly. Besides everything turning crappy brown, it can boil over at normal operating temperature of a lot of cars.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But not running coolant is silly. Besides everything turning crappy brown, it can boil over at normal operating temperature of a lot of cars.

I didn't say it was the wisest thing to do. But, it was done many many times. And yes, it does get your cooling system quite ugly. If you're using the right cap, you don't have to have coolant. Water boils at 212F. My truck ran 220-240 in stop and go LA traffic with a huge radiator, fan, shroud and auxillary E fan on a toggle switch with the cam that was in it. Still never boiled over. Used an 15-18lb cap I think it was. The boiling point is also raised higher and higher with every pound of pressure. We also had good coolant recovery systems. Had to by track rules if we were going to race. Rarely did I go to the track since it was so far, but most of us were ready for it anyway. If not, some guys just strapped a coolant or milk jug in the fender well. The big deal was, no liquids on the track.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size

But with pressure you raise the boiling point...... How does it boil then?
Vacume would lower it.

And if you have the right radiator and tstat, it shoudlnt get past 190-210.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But with pressure you raise the boiling point...... How does it boil then?
Vacume would lower it.

And if you have the right radiator and tstat, it shoudlnt get past 190-210.

80's and 90's cars often have electric fans that don't kick on until 225 or so. And most cheap asses that put water in their engine aren't going to replace their non-leaking radiator, working thermostat, or working cap just so they can run water.

And if folks in Cali can do something that makes a part rust out faster than the same part in Ohio, obviously it's not a good idea.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
80's and 90's cars often have electric fans that don't kick on until 225 or so. And most cheap asses that put water in their engine aren't going to replace their non-leaking radiator, working thermostat, or working cap just so they can run water.

And if folks in Cali can do something that makes a part rust out faster than the same part in Ohio, obviously it's not a good idea.

That might be true, But from a Drag Racing point of Veiw, Its not just Cali that has the antifreeze rule, ALL strips want you to have water, if you spill anything not water on the track, then can kick you out and possibly ban you.

So theres times to run water and antifreeze.
I run antifreeze year round.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Soooooooo no ideas on what I'm doing wrong getting the motor to line up with the tranny?.. I have the motor at angle to clear the motor mounts and I got a jack under the tranny to get it as straight on as possible. Don't know what else I can do.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Soooooooo no ideas on what I'm doing wrong getting the motor to line up with the tranny?.. I have the motor at angle to clear the motor mounts and I got a jack under the tranny to get it as straight on as possible. Don't know what else I can do.

If you're struggling with getting it lined up, you might need to get the motor down on the mounts, remove the trans mount, then line the trans up to the motor instead of lining the motor to trans. And did I see something that was a manual trans? IF so, you need to do that anyway. Chances are the issue you're having is the input shaft of the trans is not getting into the pilot bushing inside the crank. So back the trans off, set the motor, bring the trans in. You didn't loosen the pressure plate bolts right? If so, You're going to need a clutch alignment tool. Hope that helps.

Don't mind our other secondary anti freeze conversation. It is somewhat related to your issue and the freeze plug. Just read and learn from it. We're still here to help with the motor install.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I lined the clutch up with a ratchet and some electrical tape and I'm just about positive that its fine. Will I have to drop the driveshaft and take out all the bolts that hold the tranny and transfercase? Or just loosen the tranny bolts?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Never heard of lining up a clutch that way, but whatever works...

Sure you could loose the trans mount bolts and it be just the difference you need to guide the input into the clutch.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Ive lined one in a trailer race truck by feeling the gap all the way around the clutch and making sure its the same.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I was skeptical of it working too. But I felt the gap around the clutch and it was straight as could be. I'll try that when I get home from school, I'd like to get this wrapped up today if I can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lorisa2u