PTO for a 75 4 speed manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is it a one directional? Believe they fit either side? One on the truck now has a forward and reverse so to say, and never disengages from the tranny, first one I've ever seen so, dunno. The pump I have can be hooked up in either direction so all i need is it to spin when I put it in gear and do nothing otherwise.

Thanks!!
I believe he refers to a mechanical shaft kind. So a PTO winch driven by shafts would be a common application, thus the side of output would be forward or rear on either side of trans.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I believe he refers to a mechanical shaft kind. So a PTO winch driven by shafts would be a common application, thus the side of output would be forward or rear on either side of trans.

Yes ma'am, but a winch needs to go in both directions. The bolt pattern for the pto is the same top to bottom, just flip it over and change sides, unless one wanted to run a front mounted mechanical winch, then turn it over and leave it on the same side. Simple is delicious!! That being said, the pto I have, is mounted passenger side, runs both ways, yet never disengages from the tranny, it has a neutral. Yet is still engaged?? never seen anything like it?? I need a a pto that mounts on the passenger side of the tranny pointing tword the rear, because that is where I will have room to mount the pump. The motor the pump will run, which will in turn run the winch will have to be mounted on the drivers side. Be dank to find one!....grin The clock wise, counter clock wise rotation of said pto is not revelent, pump will work either way. The pto just need to engage win the lever is put in engage and ride along there quietly and in piece when not.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes ma'am, but a winch needs to go in both directions. The bolt pattern for the pto is the same top to bottom, just flip it over and change sides, unless one wanted to run a front mounted mechanical winch, then turn it over and leave it on the same side. Simple is delicious!! That being said, the pto I have, is mounted passenger side, runs both ways, yet never disengages from the tranny, it has a neutral. Yet is still engaged?? never seen anything like it?? I need a a pto that mounts on the passenger side of the tranny pointing tword the rear, because that is where I will have room to mount the pump. The motor the pump will run, which will in turn run the winch will have to be mounted on the drivers side. Be dank to find one!....grin The clock wise, counter clock wise rotation of said pto is not revelent, pump will work either way. The pto just need to engage win the lever is put in engage and ride along there quietly and in piece when not.
yes, i was explaining how what he said about side mattered in this instance, the way you responded sounded like you thought he meant pump. i was saying he was splaining it would require a change to make it not passenger-front ouput but i think you got it lol. i guess im assuming it cant be flipped because of a drop but i suppose in assume your app wouldnt need it or maybe his doesnt have a drop?

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
yes, i was explaining how what he said about side mattered in this instance, the way you responded sounded like you thought he meant pump. i was saying he was splaining it would require a change to make it not passenger-front ouput but i think you got it lol. i guess im assuming it cant be flipped because of a drop but i suppose in assume your app wouldnt need it or maybe his doesnt have a drop?

Yes ma'am, what do you man by "drop"?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes ma'am, what do you man by "drop"?
How many inches down from the case opening the pto start. So some are made to drop it like 3+ inches to clear obstructions or change angles of driveshafts or etc

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Sorry, forgot to check this thread. So the pto was originally pass side rear output. I changed it to be driver side rear, but it is basically a matter of flipping shafts over. This has 2 gears, so it spins the same direction as the counter shaft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin