Problems with lift kit (ORD) install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Every lifted truck I've ever rode in had a choppy, harsh ride. My V20 has 3 leaves up front after I added a 2" lift spring, still less than half that thick. To each his own...
The ultra thin multi leaf packs are very different than the 2-3 leaf oem type springs. Iirc my front springs now have 8-10 leaves and are far smoother/softer than my 3 leaf stock k30 springs. They get into the minutiae on designing them, even the weight of a custom from bumper is considered.

My OEM rears were 1-1/4 ton packs and were not compliant with anything less than a yard of gravel in the bed. The custom rears with an airbag are much better handling. Again, I traded 10 leaves for ten leaves, but the new springs are significantly thinner.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Might be a good idea to take it to the most professional shop you can find and get an estimate to correct the previous work done, just so you have something on paper to negotiate with when you talk with the shop that did the install.

Last edited:

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Lastly, we noticed the entire right side Sway Bar Disconnect mechanism had just fallen off...I called ORD and they said they never heard of that happening...cost me $60 for them to send a new one. WTF?!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
I'd like to know what tool they used to torque that long U-bolt?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was being serious. Many standard deep sockets will still reach the top half of that nut. Also, extra-deep well sockets are a real thing.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Going down this rabbit hole I have discovered (thanks to @bucket) that one can even brag about having the coveted "big 12 incher"! Who knew?

Attachments

• 12 incher.JPG
    12 incher.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 42

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
I was being serious. Many standard deep sockets will still reach the top half of that nut. Also, extra-deep well sockets are a real thing.
And I'm sure that shop used that to torque all those nuts, as well as the sway bar disconnect bolt that mysteriously disappeared.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And I'm sure that shop used that to torque all those nuts, as well as the sway bar disconnect bolt that mysteriously disappeared.

Yeah, I don't have a clue what the shop did. I just know that I've torqued u-bolts like that many of times.

Also, u-bolts really need to be retorqued after a couple hundred miles, then checked again after 1k or so.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sort of off topic, but Bilstein applications for squarebodys are horrible.
I wanted to make Bils work on the 86 and ultimately returned everything (except the steering stabilizer which DOES fit my 2016 Ram, lol).
Too many issues and modifications needed to make bils work.
But fwiw, Skyjacker shocks and stabilizer all fit with no issues, right lengths, right size sleeves and bushings and all the proper mounts included.

Bilstein sucks for squarebody applications.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@giantrock
Ever think about updating this debacle that was almost not believe-able?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike